RTB Workspace releases - Forum - Roundtable Community - Progress Community
 Forum

RTB Workspace releases

• Yes we have a release as well as a site (deployment recipient) available for deployments and I am planning to use below API for this but dont have ida on this API.

RUN rtb/proxy/p/rtbMakeDeployment.p ON AppServerHandle(

INPUT  pcWorkspace,

INPUT  pcSiteCode,

INPUT  piSequence,

OUTPUT cError).

Please suggest.

• Have you made one or more deployments using the standard RTB UI so that you are comfortable with that RTB creates and what the various steps required?

AFAIK the API you are wanting to use requires that you have a delpoyment record created already - as this builds the actual deployment itself. So it is the same thing that happens when you press the "Make" button in the UI.

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen
    Director

• Yes i have done deployment using standard RTB UI but here in the API i am not sure on the piSequence parameter.

Is this same as Deploy# ?

• HI,

Any update on my post. We are planning to run these API's using Jenkins and so I am looking for API which will create deployment data as mentioned in the screenshot and make deployment. We are not planing to use any other automated tool.

• I may be impartial on this ;-) But I would recommend that you have a look at the Automation Toolkit and what we have built into this.

This is the result of several years of development and testing, and also includes a number of features that are not available in the standard RTB APIs. It is often used with Jenkins or just with command line scripts.

We have wrappered a lot of the feaures into OOABL classes to make them easier to use.

The toolkit even includes processes for creating deployments without having to first create a deployment record - but have this created automatically if needed. The pre-requisites for this are that you have created a site (as this cannot be automated) and that you have a site in the workspace you are deploying from that is marked as the default deployment site .

There is lots more we can do with this - but the toolkit gives you a very good head start to RTB automation.

We are even starting to look at how we can add using node.js into the mix here for a new version of the toolkit.

Note that the toolkit is not an officially supported product. So support is either community support like this - or based on services if you need more specific and in-depth assistance. Contact me offline if you need more details on this.

For use of the standard APIs, you can continue to use the forums like this. Or - assuming you are on maintenance with RTB, contact Technical Support in your region. You cannot get programming assistance with tech support - but you can guidance on how to use the APIs.

HTH

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen
    Director

• Why are you not using the automation toolkit if you plan to use Jenkins ?

We have multiple Jenkins ARAT jobs and after figuring out some initial configuration questions these run perfectly fine

I think the RTB community will benefit if more people use this tool rather than writing separate integrations

• Carl, thank you for your endorsement of this toolkit.  We too highly recommend it.

• Which Automation Toolkit r u referring ?

Is that  AppSolute  Automation Toolkit ?

• Yes, it's available, free of charge, on the Roundtable download page

www.roundtable-software.com/.../

It contains documentation on how to start using it.

• And suppose if i dont want to go with this automation tool, is there any other existing rtb api that I can call and create deployment data and make it ?

• I suppose that I'd like to know why you don't want to go with that tool.

I focusing on using and improving ARAT, I'm not going to invest time in figuring out how to do something that's already solved there. I prefer to put my efforts into adding stuff that not yet available.

If you really don't want to use ARAT you can still have a look at the source of the toolkit to see how it's done.

BTW I'm a RTB user, no links to Roundtable company, no interests in ARAT other than using and where possible improving it.

• There is no public API to make deployments (perhaps you can log that with our technical support team as an enhancement request).

The author of the toolkit has gone to the trouble of figuring out how to call the non-public proxy routines and has generously made the toolkit available for public use as open-source. That is your best option.

Jeff Ledbetter

Roundtable Product Architect

www.roundtable-software.com