Migrationg ascx controls from 3.6 to 5.2 - issues with properties - Upgrading Sitefinity - Upgrading Sitefinity - Progress Community
 Upgrading Sitefinity

Migrationg ascx controls from 3.6 to 5.2 - issues with properties

• Migrationg ascx controls from 3.6 to 5.2 - issues with properties
  • Hi

I am new to Sitefinity and have been asked to migrate a site from 3.6 to 5.2. The majority of the migration has gone very smoothly but I have an issue with existing ascx controls that I haven't been able to figure out.

When editing a control in 3.6 I can see and set control properties. Once these controls are migrated I no longer get the option to set these properties.

The properties have a Category attribute and the contols themselves inherit from UserControl.

Is there something that I need to do to this controls in order to view and set the properties in 5.2?

Any help much appreciated

• Should work the same as 3.x...except that every property is now a plain textbox instead of the dropdowns\etc (based on type)...

Can you attach a couple screenshots so I can see what you mean?  If your control has a designer attached then you'd click "Advanced" to get to the properties...otherwise they should just all show up.
  • Thanks for your response Steve. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the production site (v3.6) and of the new test site (v5,2). I've also included a snipit of the code behind for the control.

I thought maybe I needed to register the control in the web.config, but it is not in the config for the v3.6 site, so not sure if I'm on the right track there.

• Do me a quick favour...in your 5.x settings click the A-Z icon at the top left, just doublecheck and make sure it's not in there somewhere just perhaps not in the assigned category.

Then try making a new test property

public string TestProperty get;set; build, then go back into the editor and see if that one shows up

• Hi Steve

Checked again and the properties aren't there.

I added the new property but that doesn't show up either.

I've created a new user control to test as well, but I'm unsure what widget I need to drag onto the page to set up a custom control. Are you able to tell me which it  is?

• So in addition to creating it, you know you need to register it too right? 
    screencast.com/.../nivyNlsf

Have you done that?
  • Thanks Steve, I hadn't realised I needed to do that sorry.

I registered the existing control, deleted the control widget on the broken page and dragged a new instance from the toolbox, and the custom properties appeared.

I guess the migration can't have done this correctly as I have several custom controls that are broken with missing properties. At least I know now how to get them working.

Thanks for the help you have given me on this.