SEO fields for news and blog items - Ideas & Feature Requests - Ideas & Feature Requests - Progress Community
 Ideas & Feature Requests

SEO fields for news and blog items

• Hello Simon,

Thank you for using our services.

Here is the documentation link about setting Meta descriptions:
    http://www.sitefinity.com/documentation/documentationarticles/automatic-generation-of-meta-keywords-and-meta-description-tags

Kind regards,
    toteva
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • I have yet to see this added into the 6.1 version of Sitefinity. Are you still working on giving us the ability to set the meta title and meta data manually for each dynamically generated page?

This would be a really nice feature to have and would help with SEO.
  • bba89efc-a8e1-4f3f-ac74-6043ff58a2e7_MetaFields.PNG
    Hello Eric,

The functionality you are talking about is indeed included in 6.1 . Users have the option of adding Meta description, keywords and title to news and blogs. It is located on the widgets' designer -> Advanced. Please refer to the attached image.

Regards,
    Ivan D. Dimitrov
    Telerik
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Ivan, thanks for your response, but it is not helpful to have this option within the news widget.  I NEED A DIFFERENT META DESCRIPTION FOR EACH NEWS PAGE, NOT FOR THE PAGE THAT THE NEWS WIDGET IS EMBEDDED ON.  I am working with Patrick Dunn on a workaround, but I'm really puzzled as to why this was implemented this way.

If I'm missing something, I apologize, and please advise.
  • I agree with Eric!

I am in need of the ability to set the meta data for each individual blog post. Besides, having the same meta description for all of the blog post will provide html errors in Google Webmaster Tools and in most SEO reporting software. 

I know Sitefinity sees these content items as dynamic pages built off of one main page, but search engines and users see them as individual pages. As a result all dynamic pages, (news, events, blog post, lists) need their own meta data. 

As Eric said, if we are missing something, please advise. 
  • Hello all,

The feature you are requesting is already available. As I mentioned before it is in the documentation. Pay specific attention to the first NOTE. If you want to register custom meta fields for each item in your news/blogs you need to add a custom field to the module from News/Blogs--> Custom fields for news/blogs. Add a field and then populate it for every item with different text that will serve as your meta tags. In the widget designer add the name of your custom field to the MetaKeyWordsField. This way every item's unique tags will be included in the page's meta tags automatically. You can view the whole process here.

Regards,
    Ivan D. Dimitrov
    Telerik
  • Thank You Ivan for clearing up the confusion. I will be trying this solution out on our current project!
  • Thanks for the demo, Ivan.  That worked.
  • I have been able to get the MetaData and the MetaKeywords to work, but I cannot get the TitleTag to work. You can see my example here.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong
  • Jeremy, the individual title of the blog post appears in the title tag for me by default, without any custom fields or configuration.

• Hi Jeremy,

The only thing I did not see you do in the video is go to details view on your module. The MetaTitleField is activated once you click on the details you initialize the content's custom MetaTitleField. 
    Otherwise the meta title of the page is taken as a runtime value. 

Regards,
    Ivan D. Dimitrov
    Telerik
  • Tired of this half bakes CMS. Stock standard stuff like this being missing is simply amazing!
  • It looks like the MetaDecriptionField is NOT available in the Advanced designer of the feather MVC Blog Posts widget.  Is there any support for adding meta description for dynamic blog posts in feather or no?  
  • Hi Erik,

You can take a look on that KB article:
    http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/knowledge-base/details/mvc-modify-page-title-and-meta-data

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Svetoslav Manchev
    Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

• Thanks Svet!

For those interested, here's my version of the solution using an MVC ActionFilter  

```

public class MetaDataAttribute : ActionFilterAttribute

private string metaDescription;

public override void OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext filterContext)

var actionParameters = filterContext.ActionParameters;

if (actionParameters.ContainsKey("item"))

var item = actionParameters["item"] as Content;
                   if (item != null)

this.metaDescription = item.GetValue<string>("MetaDescription");

public override void OnActionExecuted(ActionExecutedContext filterContext)

filterContext.Controller.ViewBag.Description = this.metaDescription;

```