Clarification on "Concurrent CMS Users" - General Discussions - General Discussions - Progress Community
 General Discussions

Clarification on "Concurrent CMS Users"

• Clarification on "Concurrent CMS Users"
  • Hello,

I want to make sure I understand this correctly.

Is the following true if I have have a Small Business Edition?:

1) A single person can be logged into the actual Sitefinity software

2) There is no limit to the amount of people that can log into a secure site that is using Sitefinity as its framework.

Thanks,
    John
  • I think I asked that in the webinar and that's how it sounded...from their answer.  Once they enter the backend it uses up a concurrent user....however it's worded HERE such that if a user logs into your site anywhere and they have admin access that uses up a concurrent license.
  • Hi Steve,

Limitations are set only for backend users that are logged in to the administration area of the CMS where you can create,edti update pages, content, users, permissions etc. There are no limitations to the public part of a secured ( not secured) website.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • I want to make sure I do not have to manage non-CMS secured users outside of the CMS. Can I still use the Sitefinity framework to manage the users that are not going to be using the backend and when those users login (they will not have permission to use the CMS part of the site) will they count toward concurrent users?

Thanks.

• Yeah, that's what they mean John...it wouldn't make sense to price a CMS @ $8000 if only 10 people can be logged in...you can only have 10 people in the backend managing users at the same time though.  So you could have 200 users logged in with access to the backend, but it only knocks against the concurrent count if they ENTER the backend.
  • Thanks Steve...
    I am just being too careful in my questions.....I started thinking...technically someone logged into the website is touching the CMS in a small way so I thought just maybe that would be a problem.
  • Hello John S.,

Just a small clarification, we restricting the concurrent users by a role. In other words, we are counting the concurrent users in the Backend role. These are only users that can have permission to access the administration.

Best wishes,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Wait, so you mean if a user with the Backend Role is logged in anywhere on the site (not even IN the backend?)

If the above is the case, I'm floored...how could you ever use it for a private login required site and still build modules against it?
  • This seems like a shady area not clearly defined in current pricing schema, which makes me quite concerned.

So if a website builds a custom module to provide some sort of online community feature, which would allow front-end users to add/modify content without back-end access. Based on explanation above, those users are not counted against concurrent user limit. 

My concern is, would this be considered legitimate use or circumventing the pricing scheme? 
  • Hello Bill, Steve,

Wait, so you mean if a user with the Backend Role is logged in anywhere on the site (not even IN the backend?)

If the above is the case, I'm floored...how could you ever use it for a private login required site and still build modules against it?

Yes, we are counting the concurrent (logged in in the same time) users in the Backend Role and Administrators role, no matter if they are in the administration or in the front end. Could you please let me know why this is a show-stopper? If a user is part of the backend or administrators role, this basically give them permission to enter the administration area. A little more information on the private-login site will be appreciated. Also, the modules development is not done on a live system usually. Perhaps I am missing something. 

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
  • Hello Georgi ,

This post seems to contradicts what you say:

www.sitefinity.com/.../sitefinity-4-0-rc.aspx

An example of a problem, if you have 100 employees that all have permission to edit pages on a secured site then each of those employees will need two log ins or there will only be 5 people allowed on the actual website at one time.

John
  • Hey Georgi,
      Yeah, we're getting conflicting info on this...

It becomes a massive issue when you want to make a site in which people want to be logged in so they can have personal preferences.  Like take telerik.com for example.  I like to stay logged in so I get my favorite links bar at the top and I can know which threads I've read.  If I had edit rights... :) ...then you get one less editor while I'm browsing the forums with no plans to ever change a page.  Or like in our case locally, a totally internal system in which there is no other option but to log in. 

It's not the module building I mean, but creating a module who's editing\management is exposed in the backend.  The SDK in 4.0 is defiantly a godsend over 3.x, but if I make something available in the backend then it's only tweakable by that concurrent limit....like I can't have a submenu item for reports for them to generate or custom analytics.  Those would all have to be frontend controls in another sub-admin area right?

I would agree it makes sense to limit to /sitefinity if you're going the concurrent route, but not the entire system.

Here's another example:
    - I create a module which on the front-end registered users can submit listings into the database.  On the backend in the administration, the secretary or the boss can go in and transfer them out or approve them.  In SBE with one concurrent backend user, that means only the boss OR the secretary can be in the system at any given time...unless there's a generic admin user, which means they log out of themselves, log in as admin user, change things, then re-log in as themselves.

Steve
  • Also, are we talking (assuming standard) 5 per SUBDOMAIN since each sub will have it's own DB and webroot?
  • Hello all,

We have updated the RC thread, but I am posting this here as well:

Any user belonging to the Backend Users role or to the Administrators role who authenticates within a Sitefinity 4.0 website is counted towards the concurrent user limitation. It doesn’t matter whether this backend or admin user authenticates by logging into the public facing website, backend administration area, or a third-party application using our RESTful Web Service APIs. That user is removed from the concurrent users count when he personally logs off, he is forcefully logged off by an administrator, or his session expires. The session expiration time can be controlled from the configuration settings of Sitefinity.

@Steve:
    It becomes a massive issue when you want to make a site in which people want to be logged in so they can have personal preferences.  Like take telerik.com for example.

Are these users suppose to edit your content on your own web site? Why don't you put then in a Customers role, which has rights to see their account, but not your CMS pages? :)

Also, are we talking (assuming standard) 5 per SUBDOMAIN since each sub will have it's own DB and webroot?
    Are you going to use one application for this scenario? Why do you want to use several databases? Let me know so we can clarify it :)

@John:
    We have updated the posts, since we had something to add. I also think that organization which can afford 100 employees logged in the same time, doing some changes in the CMS pages/content should not be called small business. 

Needless to say guys, we are really sharing opinions here. Great ideas could be born in discussions!

Sincerely yours,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team