Admin Session Timeouts Frequently - General Discussions - General Discussions - Progress Community
 General Discussions

Admin Session Timeouts Frequently

• Admin Session Timeouts Frequently
  • I have a client that we are building out their website using sitefinity 4.0 RC on discount asp.  They are having issues where they are creating content in the CMS and it keeps expiring there session after 10-15 minutes.  I noticed this myself when i was modifying pages/templates etc and it is very annoying. 

Is this a license issue since the site was setup as a trial of sitefinity, we currently are in the process of purchasing a 3.7 license that has the free upgrade to 4.0.  Or is it something else i can fix quickly for them now.

Thx
    Michael
  • This happens to me also. However, I'm attempting to implement my own test membership provider. For whatever reason, my users get logged out in less than a minute.
  • In my custom MembershipDataProvider subclass I override the GetUsers() method.

I am creating my own test list of users which I am returning from that method.

What I've found is that if I cache this list of users, things appear to work as expected.

However, if I create a new list with equivalent users (but not the same instances), then the current user logged into the backed will be logged out.

Can you please provide a little enlightenment regarding this issue?

Thank you.
  • No Admin response to this yet?  I shouldn't have to right custom anything to fix this issue.  My clients are not happy that they get logged out in less than 15 minutes when they are in the middle of editing content on their soon to be live site.  They are getting frustrated and want this resolved quickly.
  • Hi Michael,

We can reproduce this issue only when the application pool gets recycled and there is an AJAX request followed by some HTTP request. It looks like your case is the same, because you experience the issue on 15-20 minutes which is the default time stamp for application pool recycling. For this case we logged a bug with ID 102446

Could you check whether your application pool gets recycled? Which hosting plan you use with discountasp.net? Can you replicate the issue on a local server where you have hosted the project on an IIS server and using VS web server?

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • We are using discount asp's Windows 2008 - IIS 7.0 plan along with sql server 2008.   I don't seem to have control over setting the app pool recycle time in our discount asp account.  I can only recycle it manually.  I haven't yet had time to test it locally using VS.

I was reading some people setup a scheduled task through discountasp when trying to speed up sitefinity 3.7.  I did this for our 4.0 site and will see if that helps at all.

• Hi Michael,

Ok, I logged  the problem with app pool recycling for fixing, so it should be fixed for the official release or earlier in one of our internal builds.

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Thanks.  If it does get fixed in an internal build is there anyway to get that code before the final release?
  • Hi Michael,

We have weekly builds, so the fix could appear in them if we manage to sort out the issue before the official release. Currently it is logged for fixing for the next week.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  • Great.  Thanks Ivan.
  • Was this fixed in RC2, i didn't see it mentioned?
  • Hi Michael,

The issue is not fixed in the RC2, because of another bug that prevents us from fixing the first one.

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  • Ivan,

Do you have any timetable to have this fixed?  Our client is very upset when they are trying to use 4.0 to build out their site and have it ready to go when the final release for 4.0 is ready.    It is also frustrating for myself since i cannot upload anything in bulk without it timing out and killing the uploads. I have to do one a time logging in then logging out then logging in again.  Sometimes even then it hangs and i have to go into discountasp and recycle the web app or else the entire site is down.  It gets even worse when 2 people are trying to upload stuff. 

Is there at least any workaround for this, i was able to gain IIS access to our discount asp hosted website if there is something in there i can do to band-aid this problem for the time being.

Is there anyone else out there using discountasp with sitefinity 4.0 or am i the only one with this issue?  This is more than just some 15-20 minutes session state issue.

Thx
    Michael
  • Hello Michael,

We will try to fix the issue before the official release scheduled in  the middle of January. You could try to increase the System Idle Time out value of IIS ( if you have access) and your private memory which should prevent the application pool from recycling.

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team