New to sitefinity please need help - Front- & Back-End Development - Front- & Back-End Development - Progress Community
 Front- & Back-End Development

New to sitefinity please need help

• New to sitefinity please need help
  • Hello Admin/Experts,

I am a junior level ASP.NET developer. I have a project in my hand, which is to develop a basic CMS for Content Editor, News Editor, Hompage Editor and Image uploading in my client's website. I would like to know how to start using Sitefinity for these requirements. I have downloaded sitefinity_4.2 trail version.

My questions are:

1.  If I start my project with this trail version, can i deploy it on other servers?
    2.  Make sure that i have to extend my project for more modules in the future. Can i able to do that using this version?
    3. what are the basic requirements, to start my project?

Please guide me. Many Thanks in advance

Mahender
  • Mahender,

Welcome to Sitefinity! To address your questions:

1. The same project you use to develop (trial) can be deployed directly to your live server. You need only to replace the trial license file with a paid one.
    2. Sitefinity is certainly extensible. You can develop integrated Content-Based modules, or simpler Intra-Site modules, as well as custom controls (widgets).
    3. The documentation has specifics on system requirements, I've linked some helpful documentation below.

Installation:
    Here's probably the best first place to start: http://www.sitefinity.com/resources/getting-started.aspx

Module Creation:
    Creating Sitefinity 4 Content Modules Part 1: Project Preparation and Hello World
    Creating Page-Based Modules in Sitefinity 4
    Creating Intra-Site Modules in Sitefinity 4

Widget Creation:

Anatomy of a Sitefinity 4 Widget

Deployment:
    How to deploy Sitefinity 4 to shared hosting
    Sitefinity 4 Database Deployment

Hope this is helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions!
  • Hi,
    I have a windows service which will be running on a sitefinity server. The functionality of this service is to change the sitefinity user's password and create user programmatically based on the certain data (like username and password). 
    In need a help in changing password of user(not by mail) and and creating user programatically.

Thanks in advance.
  • Hello,

You can take a look at this sample that will change the password of the user:

/// <summary>
            /// Changes user's password by temporary resetting it and then applying the new value
            /// </summary>
            /// <param name="userName">the username string</param>
            /// <param name="newPassword">the new password </param>
            /// <returns>boolean confirmation of successful change</returns>
            public bool ChangeUserPassword(string userName, string newPassword)

bool success;

var userManager = UserManager.GetManager();
                userManager.Provider.SuppressSecurityChecks = true;
                var authUser = userManager.GetUser(userName);

if (authUser != null)

string originalPasswordAnswer = authUser.PasswordAnswer;
                    authUser.PasswordAnswer = "tempAnswer";

string tempPassword = "";
                    try

tempPassword = userManager.ResetPassword(authUser, "tempAnswer");

catch (Exception ex)

throw new Exception("Password reset not enabled", ex.InnerException);

success = userManager.ChangePassword(authUser, tempPassword, newPassword);
                    if (success)

authUser.PasswordAnswer = originalPasswordAnswer;
                        userManager.SaveChanges();
                        return success;

return success = authUser == null;

How to create users programatically, you can see in the documentation:Creating users and Creating user profiles

I hope this information is useful.

All the best,
    Atanas Valchev
    the Telerik team
    Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.