Now that 6.3 is out, we are starting the work on 7.0 which will preserve the focus on the most popular community requests.
Below are the first ideas on feature: “Ability to Relate Content to Other Content Items”.
As you can see, our ideas are still in rough shape and this is the right time to turn to you for more feedback regarding this feature:
Please share with us any wishes in regards to this feature. It’s Christmas time so we might as well fulfill them :)
Here is a live examples of two content items related.
We have two custom modules: Presenters and Schedule. The Schedule has a list of event sessions. Each session might have one or many presenters associated with them. We have a list of the sessions (displayed as a schedule). When you click on the session, you get details on the session as well as a list of the presenters associated to it. You can then click on the presenter to get more detailed information.
The only issue we've run into with this on the front end, is that if the user clicks all the way through the presenters details, there's no way to get back to the schedule.
We also have the presenters listed on their page as well: http://americaeast.panewsmedia.org/schedule-of-events/presenters
I like the idea of being able to create, edit, and delete related content items from the parent content item screen. My question is whether the user will still be able to edit them through their own content item page. For example, will our users still be able to edit presenters from the Presenter screen instead of going to the session they are related to.
We do a ton of this right now and currently use custom taxonomies to link one item to another in custom modules. I love seeing that it's coming internal to SF7 since we've had to jump through a few hoops to get it to work. What I'd like to see is:
1) make sure you can relate to the same content in a hierarchical fashion (e.g. we have a custom module that is called practice areas and they often have sub practices. we would like to be able to build a hierarchical list of this items and then easily bind to a radtree or something similar). If an item is related to another same content type it should naturally be hierarchical in nature.
2) Limiting the amount of items a user can relate to a content item (e.g. we have locations as a custom content and we only want a user to pick one of these for a person content item)
3) We end up doing the same thing on multiple sites so ensuring that this related data information works when you export a dynamic module and reimport it into another site would be helpful.
4) Currently we can't add a media selector field to a custom module (or a built in module) so being able to relate these modules to documents and images would be helpful (I didn't see this content types as options in your mockup, but maybe that's just an oversight). Basically we'd like to be able to pick a bunch of photos and relate them to a news item. Simple as that.
5) Bi-directional so that if I relate a couple of news items to events it's easy to show that relationship on either the news detail page or the events detail page.
6) Well tested. I'd rather wait a release to get something that just works than start promising that this is coming soon only to realize it's not really ready for primetime yet. This has happened several times and with this particular piece of functionality I want it to work out of the of the box, pretty, pretty please.
I think that's it. I'm excited for this. I think it'll mean we can start to move away from some of our custom modules for the first time, so can't wait.