If you can see the pages in the backend, but not in the frontend after editing the template, than this is a known issue. We have fixed it and it will be included in the SP1 release coming this week. It has been fixed a few weeks ago and is also included in one of the internal builds, but I recommend you to wait for the official service pack.
Unfortunately, there is no way to automatically fix the pages that are broken. If you go to the page editor in the backend, the controls should be there, but will probably not be placed in the correct placeholders. You can reorder them manually and publish the page, this should fix the problem. You should not do anything with your template unless you install the service pack coming this week.
I know this is really frustrating when you have many pages. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If what I described is not the issue you are experiencing, please let me know.
Let me check if I understand correctly:
1. You have a 4.0 site that works correctly.
2. You upgrade to 4.0 SP1 - it still works correctly.
3. If you change something in a template, some content is lost in the pages that use the template.
Is this the case?
If yes, can you send me a backup that I can restore to test this issue? I will need credentials to login as admin, and all custom master pages and themes, if you use any. It would be best if you can send me a backup that works correctly and is upgraded to SP1 and tell me which template you change to experience the issue. This will minimize the actions on my side to reproduce the problem which will ensure the test case is as close to your real environment as possible.
What was the problem:
The problem that we fixed is that when you published a template its controls got recreated, thus the placeholders received new IDs. Since the controls in the pages remember the IDs of their placeholder, they were not rendered - remembered IDs were the old IDs - those before the publishing of the template. This was spotted and fixed very quickly and there is a fix available in an internal build prior to 4.0 SP1. It should not happen, so I think that this is some different issue.
Unfortunately, upgrading will not fix your broken pages, if this is what you expect. Is this what you mean in 4 - "But this issue has not been resolved"? Or is it that further changes to the template still break a non-broken page?
The upgrade just fixes the logic so new changes to a template does not break the pages. Those that are already broken will not be automatically fixed. There is no way to fix them automatically because the original IDs of the template placeholders are lost, as I explained.
Ok, it happens in 4.0 because the bug is not fixed there. It does not happen in 4.0 SP1 because the bug is fixed. So, the question is why it happens on upgrade from 4.0 to 4.0 SP1? The only reason I could think of is that the template(s) had drafts before upgrading to 4.o SP1. Those drafts were not created properly (the bug was not yet fixed) and when you publish them in the SP1 they break things up, even if the bug is fixed.
This is all I could think of right now. Maybe you can try to go to delete all template drafts before upgrading.
I can't able to link with the master page.
I add a new page, in my webapp, telerik data grid i used in this DefaultCS.aspx page.
<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Site.Master" Inherits="Telerik.GridExamplesCSharp.DataEditing.ProgramaticLinqUpdates.DefaultCS" runat="server" Codebehind="DefaultCS.aspx.cs" %>
Here i used <html> and <form>...
<%@ Master Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Site.Master.cs" Inherits="WHINWebApp.Site.Master" %>
Kindly check this, why i cant able to add a masterpagefile in the DefaultCS page.