OpenEdge RDBMS Workgroup Edition - Wiki - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

OpenEdge RDBMS Workgroup Edition

OpenEdge RDBMS Workgroup Edition

I am frequently asked what the differences are between the Workgroup and Enterprise editions of the OpenEdge RDBMS so I thought I'd put them here.

The Workgroup edition is intended for use in installations where the number of users is 30 or less, the database is relatively small, and performance requirements are modest. The Workgroup edition of the OpenEdge RDBMS is subject to the following limitations:

• The maximum number of database connections is 65. This allows for up to 5 batch jobs and 2 connections for each of 30 users (1 for the application and 1 for a query/reporting tool). This limit of 65 connections is a hard limit.
  • The maximum recommended database size is about 5 gigabytes. This limit is not a hard limit.
  • The maximum size of an individual data or transaction log extent is 2 gigabytes. This limit is a hard limit. Note that data areas and the Primary Recovery Area (Before Image Log) can be composed of multiple 2 gigabyte (or smaller) extents whose total size is greater than 2 gigabytes.
  • The database data block size is not selectable when creating a new database.
  • The Asynchronous Page Writers (APWs) and the Before-Image Writer (BIW) background I/O processes are not included.
  • The After-Image Writer (AIW) background I/O processes is not included (but the After-Image Journalling feature /is/ included).
  • Checkpoints are synchronous instead of asynchronous. This means that you should not use Before-Image Log cluster sizes larger than 128 kilobytes because a synchronous checkpoint occurs whenever a log cluster becomes full. Note that the default Before-Image Log cluster size is 512 kilobytes.
  • Use of the -spin, -nap, and -napmax configuration parameters is not allowed.
  • Use of the alternate buffer pool (-B2) configuration parameter is not allowed. Any table and index assignments to the alternate buffer pool will be ignored and the primary buffer pool will be used instead.
  • Use of the -semsets configuration parameter is not allowed.
  • Use of NFS mounted volumes for database storage is not allowed.
  • The Quiet Point feature for performing split-mirror backups and snapshot backups is not included.
  • The optional Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) feature is not available.
  • The Failover Clusters high-availability feature is not included.
  • The ability to participate in distributed transactions than span multiple X/Open XA resources using the JTA (Java Transaction API) is not included.
  • In releases earlier than 10.1B, the optional database replication feature is not available.
Comments
  • >>The database data block size is not selectable when creating a new databaseGus, what you mean?When I create a database (prostrct create -blocksize 1024/2048/4096/8192) with Workgroup license I can choose size of the database block, well.

• I guess that has been changed then. Initially that was not allowed in the workgroup version. Sorry for the error.

• Hi gus, can .r code compiled against "Workgroup" RDBMS able to run on environment with "Enterprise" RDBMS and vice versa?

TIA.