OEM: Top 5 worst performing area - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

OEM: Top 5 worst performing area

Forum

OEM: Top 5 worst performing area

This question is answered

Hi,

In the OEM I see at the "Area Summary" section: Top 5 worst performing area, see the image

What is this mean?

Regards,
Valeriy

Verified Answer
  • Dear Valeriy,

This means that you the data is going in the variable extent rather then the fixed one, Add the extra fixes extents on these area's and you are good to go

Regards,

Ezaz

• OEM uses the information from the _AreaStatus VST to identify the worst performing areas The percentage of area used is calculated from _AreaStatus-Totblocks _AreaStatus-Freenum values. If the percentage exceeds 80% (and the area is not either of Control Area or Primary Recovery Area), it is reported as one of the top 5 worst performing areas.

All Replies
  • Dear Valeriy,

This means that you the data is going in the variable extent rather then the fixed one, Add the extra fixes extents on these area's and you are good to go

Regards,

Ezaz

• Thank you Ezaz!

• OEM uses the information from the _AreaStatus VST to identify the worst performing areas The percentage of area used is calculated from _AreaStatus-Totblocks _AreaStatus-Freenum values. If the percentage exceeds 80% (and the area is not either of Control Area or Primary Recovery Area), it is reported as one of the top 5 worst performing areas.

• Thank you!

• Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but that metric is ridiculous. And useless. And worse, misleading.

Paul Koufalis
    White Star Software

pk@wss.com
    @oeDBA (https://twitter.com/oeDBA)

ProTop: The #1 Free OpenEdge DB Monitoring Tool
    http://protop.wss.com
  • I don’t believe the metric is useless, but I don’t want to start a religious war (again).  The title should be “Top 5 Issues” and then you can choose to ignore them or not.  I agree that fixed/variable has little to do with performance, so it’s only the title of the content area that I have an issue with.

Mike
    -- 
    Mike Furgal
    Director – Database and Pro2 Services
    PROGRESS
    617-803-2870