Check for redundant indexes - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

Check for redundant indexes

Forum

Check for redundant indexes

This question is not answered

A long time ago I downloaded an ABL program that would scan your database schema and identify indexes (Indices?) that were redundant.

I have been unable to locate this and wonder if anyone has something that does this. 

Thanks

All Replies
  • proutil command with idxcheck qualifier?

• What do you mean by a redundant index? Is it one that's not used, or one that is rendered redundant due to other indexes that already exist? Or some other rule?

• I define a redundant index as one whose fields are already present in another index with the same leading components.

A typical example:

Index1

SaleDate

SalesPerson

Index2

SaleDate

Index2 is redundant

• > I define a redundant index as one whose fields are already present in another index with the same leading components.

Then you're going to break a selection of the multiple indexes.

• That's a very good point about multiple index use. I had not considered this and we'll have to be careful before removing these indexes.

• > Then you're going to break a selection of the multiple indexes.

Can you elaborate on that George? I failed to see the problem here.

• > Can you elaborate on that George?

For example, if in addition to the indexes mentioned above there is Index3 on the SaleDep field then the query:

for each Sale where SaleDate eq "..." and SaleDep eq "..."

will use the two indexes: Index2 and Index3

But only if Index2 exists. Otherwise the query will use only one index (either Index1 or Index3 - depending from ...)