How to determine what kind of bandwidth your db is using on AIX - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

How to determine what kind of bandwidth your db is using on AIX

Forum

How to determine what kind of bandwidth your db is using on AIX

• Is there a way to see what the overhead is on a AIX server running 5.1, and Progress 9.1D? We use telnet and self-serivce clients, as well as some remote clients. Any tools I can use to monitor it and see what the traffic is like?

• Bandwidth of what? The disk subsystem? The CPU? The network?

Have you looked at ProTOP?

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• topas on AIX

• Hi Vinod...how's it going? I know about topas...and i guess this would be a good place to look since it looks at overall network in/out KBPS. Is there a way to see how much network traffic is being used by database on the same server?

When I look at topas, at Network are my definitions below correct?

KBPS = Kilo bits per second

I-PACK = In packets?

O-Pack = Out packets?

KB-In = Kilo bytes in to server

KB-Out = Kilo bytes out to user

What heading should I be looking at to determine average bandwith of the server's usage? Also, is there a way to trend just the Network part running another AIX command so I can capture it?

Seperate question: is it save to expand the paging to disk while Progress databases are up on AIX 5.1? I'm hitting 30% Free for Paging space.

• Is this academic curiosity or do you have a problem you are trying to solve? If you provide more info on the problem, we are likely to have more detailed and possibly more appropriate answers.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• ProTop has a module that extracts network utilization from the AIX netstat command. That may provide the insight that you're looking for.

For general OS monitoring on AIX I prefer "nmon" over Topas.

If you're interested in the activity of telnet users you might want to also consider "sar -y".

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com