Fixed size BI extents - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

Fixed size BI extents

Forum

Fixed size BI extents

This question is not answered

Hi

We have an issue whith BI files blowing the 2GB limits (9.1D Workgroup DB so large files not an option).  While I investigate the issue I've temporarily set BI to one 2GB fixed and one variable extent.  However, I noticed that KB S000010146 states "it is not recommended to run with bi extents sizes of 2 GB".

Why does it say this?

Thanks

Grant

All Replies
  • The article references the 2gb limit for BI, so it seems to relate to environments that didn't have the ability to exceed a 2gb db file.  Back when 9.1D was created, that was still a concern for environments.

If I was using 9.1D Workgroup, I would probably create a single fixed BI extent of 1gb and then a variable length extent.  Then I would create a monitor for long running transactions (previously discussed in Progress communities).

• It looks like the article is talking about the concrete case. I guess a database in the case did not have the large file support enabled and it crashed when BI reached 2 GB. That is why the article suggests to add two 2 GB extents plus one variable size extent (just in case) to complete a crash recovery. 2 GB of BI notes were abnormally large for the given database. So the article suggests to remove these 2 GB BI extents /after/ a crash recovery and to add "one fixed extent slightly larger than the normal bi file size plus one variable extent".