The best way to migrate the database to another platform - Forum - OpenEdge RDBMS - Progress Community

The best way to migrate the database to another platform

Forum

The best way to migrate the database to another platform

This question is answered

Hi, everyone,

I'm looking for the best way to migrate a database from HP-UX to Linux RedHat. The size of this database is ~4 TB, the number of tables is more than 200. It requires minimal downtime, no more than one hour in the most extreme case.

For today, I came to the conclusion that the optimal solution would be ProD&L.

I would like to know your opinion on this task and will be grateful to any helpful tips.

Andriy.

All Replies
  • Hi,

You are both right.

I understood perfectly well that 1 hour (this time defined by business) in the standard implementation of migration using binary dump&load would not be enough. That's why I considered ProD&L first. But after reading the presentation of Mike Furgal, I decided that Pro2 would be better. Especially, as I found out today, we have a Pro2Enterprise license, not only Pro2Oracle, as I thought before. So we do not need to buy something extra for Pro2Pro.

Now I must learn the features of Pro2 in detail, make some tests and wait for start project, when my bosses ask about it. I think I still have a lot of time to prepare.

Once again thank you all for your participation!

Andriy.

• If the table does not have a unique index, you can easily create one. Create a sequence. Create an integer field or int-64 if that is a very big table. Then "create trigger" that will assign that field a sequence number and you have a unique index. I did this trick 10 or 12 years ago specifically for Bravepoint's Pro D&L. Still works, no problems.

Dmitri Levin

Alphabroder

• Pro D/L is now obsolete.  There have always been many limitations to it, like tables with non-unique indexes for example.   Even though you are a Pro2Oracle customer, you need to license another Pro2 for the OpenEdge target.  A lot of work has been done to make 2 heterogenous pro2 targets as well as solidifying the Pro2 D/L procedures.  To this end, if you are going to go down this path I would recommend upgrading to Pro2 5.0.4 and then have a conversation with your sales rep about how you can do this migration as described in the presentation.  

Mike 
    -- 
    Mike Furgal
    Director – Database and Pro2 Services
    PROGRESS Bravepoint
    617-803-2870