Why is OpenEdge Explorer reporting OS version wrongly? - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

Why is OpenEdge Explorer reporting OS version wrongly?

Forum

Why is OpenEdge Explorer reporting OS version wrongly?

This question is answered

Hi All,

My fathom server is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, but it is showing as Windows Vista (refer to attached). May I know what could be the problem? I suspect is the programming language API call retrieving the wrong value.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • The short answer is that it's a bug. It looks like the code that displays the OS version wasn't updated when Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 were released.

The long answer is that Windows doesn't provide a simple way to retrieve this information. There's no function that just returns a string that tells you what version of Windows you're running. You have to construct it yourself from the version information you can get, which is a set of numbers that don't always seem to relate to the actual version you're using. For example, Windows Vista is version 6.0. Windows 7 is version 6.1. Windows Server 2008 R2 is also version 6.1 but there's a flag in the version information that tells you that it's a server product so you know that it's Windows Server 2008 R2 instead of Windows 7.

They keep trying to make it easier but they only seem to make it worse. Windows 8 is version 6.2. Windows 8.1 is also version 6.2 unless you build your application a certain way, in which case you get to use a whole new set of functions with names like IsWindows8OrGreater and IsWindows8_1OrGreater.

All Replies
  • It is just the incorrect OS name and version are bothering me. My current copy of OE 11.3 is an evaluation license. After the evaluation period expired, can I continue to use OE Explorer 11.3?

Thank you.

• You would need to have at least one valid license, so I am afraid not. You can download Nameserver 11.3 (which is for free) and it will give you OEE, but there won't be much you could do with it for example "database" wise.

• Thank you .