READ-XML Error - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community
 Forum

READ-XML Error

• you might check what is the size of that XML document (memptr)... I get somehow simmilar errors when trying to load XML that's only (sic) aroung half giga bytes, the error numbers mathc but the message is quite different:

│            Error reading XML from a MEMPTR or LONGCHAR. (13036)              │
    │  READ-XML encountered an error while parsing the XML Document: FATAL ERROR:  │
    │ file 'MEMPTR', line '11562517', column '5', message 'An exception occurred!  │
    │   Type:RuntimeException, Message:operator new fails.  Possibly running Of    │
    │                               memory'. (13064)

there's plenty of memory on my dumb 8G laptop but there must be some limmitation they hit, this leads me into thinkig that read-xml is not using a sequential read like sax parser but it tries to load everything in a DOM alike structure

anyway, that might be the reason for which things work in development/test but not in real production environment... i guess

• I believe that varbinary has a maximum size of 8,000 bytes.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• Estou em viagem hoje.

Responderei e-mails e ligação ao final do dia.

--

Marcos A. Ambrósio

Totvs Curitba

Tel./Fax: (41) 3360-6200

marcos.antonio@totvs.com.br

• from supportlink (gasp!)

in OpenEdge 10.2B, DataServer for MS SQL Server was enhanced to use the OpenEdge BLOB data type, enabling you to handle data records of up to 1 gigabyte in size. Release 10.2B provides the following enhancements:

• The ability to migrate an OpenEdge database with BLOB data type to a MS SQL Server database as VARBINARY (MAX) and pull back as BLOB in the schema holder
    • The ability to pull MS SQL Server data types VARBINARY (MAX), IMAGE, or VARBINARY (MAX) FILESTREAM as an OpenEdge BLOB data type into the schema holder
    • The ability to read or write data to or from the MS SQL Server database through the ABL BLOB data type by using the ABL COPY-LOB operation

I'm wondering if the solution would be to copy-lob the data to the db field, rather than assigning it ...

• if you copy-lob from the field to a file, what does the file look like ?

Trying to determine if the data in the field is corrupted

• Thank you for all your invaluable replies and answers.  This was fixed as the read-xml was pointing to the wrong record and the test database didn't have those records and so it worked OK there.

As I still faced other issues, have considered the use of varchar (max) (Julian's initial suggestion).

That seems to have fixed all issues. 

Once again thanks for all your inputs.

Thanks,

Beulah