PASOE Broker Owner/Username - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

PASOE Broker Owner/Username

Forum

PASOE Broker Owner/Username

This question is not answered

Hi.

In "traditional" AppServer, one can specify a broker owner (i.e. username) that the agent runs under. If not specified, it inherits the user specified for the Admin Server. That property is N/A for PASOE. Is there a way to specify a username for the agent in PASOE? 

Jeff Ledbetter
Product Architect | Roundtable Software

All Replies
  • I will simply assume Windows here, if you register the pasoe (tomcat) instance as a service you can then set a different user for it as for any other service.

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
    www.acorn-it.com
    www.akera.io
    +40 740 036 212

• Hi Marian. My question is for all supported platforms, but especially Linux in this case.

Jeff Ledbetter

• Are you looking for the user that runs the instance?  

• I want to know how to specify the user/owner (like in traditional appserver) when setting up a PASOE instance.

Jeff Ledbetter

• I've never used tcman. I just set it up in OpenEdge Explorer. Are those options available there somewhere that I am overlooking?

Jeff Ledbetter

• I seem to remember that the -U and -G switches are broken.

Paul Koufalis
    White Star Software

pk@wss.com
    @oeDBA (https://twitter.com/oeDBA)

ProTop: The #1 Free OpenEdge DB Monitoring Tool
    http://protop.wss.com
  • The -U and -G switches are supposed to set the file ownership.  They don't control the user that owns the process.  There is not a way provide the user that runs the process from OEE.  What "can" do, at least on windows, is register the process as a service, and start the service under a particular user account.

• "The -U and -G switches are supposed to set the file ownership."

That is what I am interested in: controlling the ownership of OS files that my PASOE ABL application writes.

In traditional AppServer, setting the broker owner accomplished this. I do not see a way through the OpenEdge Explorer/Management to set a similar value.

Jeff Ledbetter

• I tried to edit my post and it disappeared, so here it is again (sorry for duplicate if it reappears):

"The -U and -G switches are supposed to set the file ownership."

That is what I am interested in: controlling the ownership of OS files that my PASOE ABL application writes.

In traditional AppServer, setting the broker owner accomplished this. I do not see a way through the OpenEdge Explorer/Management to set a similar value.

Jeff Ledbetter

• If it’s not available, and it should be, then that’s a bug – please log it.

• I'm not sure if it is available or not because I don't quite know what I am looking for. In the migration guide, the table indicated that there was no matching username property (N/A) hence my original post. I don't know much about Tomcat; I assumed that OpenEdge Management would hide the complexities.

Jeff Ledbetter

• OEE definitely does not have these options during create.  They are only available on the command line.

• As Paul point out, they do not work (according to this kbase):

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Unable-to-use-U-and-G-options-with-tcman-create-or-pasman-create

Perhaps this is the work-around:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../Is-it-possible-to-run-a-PASOE-instance-as-a-non-root-user

I've never used tcman so I guess this will be an adventure.

Jeff Ledbetter

• Hi Jeff,

if you are using OE Explorer to start the PASOE instance, it will use what ever user started the AdminServer on that same machine.

So stop your AdminServer (proadsv -stop).

Then change to the user you want to run both AdminServer and PASOE instances

Start AdminServer (proadsv -start)

Once started, start PASOE

LMK, Roy