RPM creation for Progress - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

RPM creation for Progress

Forum

RPM creation for Progress

This question is not answered

has anyone created RPM for the progress install

looking to setup automated install using Jenkins and Puppet. would like to use a RPM package so a yum -install can be used.  Can this be done.
thanks,
Ben
All Replies
  • The problem here are the control codes used as part of the installation to enable purchased features so a straight RPM isn't really a good route.  But a silent installation is a good fit, just do one install go to $DLC/install there should be response.ini.  This can be use for future automated installations.  

/install/116_base/proinst -b install/116_base/responce.ini -l /install/116_base/myInstall.log

Put this within a normal BASH script then call from Ansible.  The same can be done for the 11.6.3 Patch Bundles.

• If only there was a tool to create the response.ini *without* having to install the actual thing first...

• Hey Ben,

Have you considered using Docker instead and having pre-built images where all you need is a valid progress.cfg file to use with your containers?

/Thomas

• Thomas, did PSC released something already on support/licensing for docker environment? I know there were talks on the subject but I haven't seen anything official, maybe I've missed that somehow :(

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
    +40 740 036 212

• Hi Marian,

Nothing official that I am aware of. If there is I have also missed it  ;-)

Maybe they will have news on this at the conference in a few weeks.

Technically using Docker is not much of an issue - but licensing could be. So we are also very keen to find out what Progress decide on this.

/Thomas

• Right, I guess if they see containers as VMs (which are not) that need to be licensed separately then 'dockerizing' and application is not that that appealing anymore :(

Have anyone played with shared memory (ipc producer/consumer) in containers? Wonder if that could work with Progress shared memory database connections, have to find time to try that sometimes :)

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
    +40 740 036 212