Deserialization constructors? - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

Deserialization constructors?

Forum

Deserialization constructors?

This question is answered

Hi folks,

I've read this section from the development guide and can't infer anything from it other than "OpenEdge looks after it" - but I'm presuming there is no such thing as a deserialization constructor for serialized objects passed across the AppServer boundary? If not - anyone aware of any plans to introduce such a construct?

Thanks! 

Verified Answer
  • I assume you mean a constructor that is called to reconstitute an object that has been serialized, in a custom manner.  There were ideas about providing hooks for customization of serialization/deserialization.  I don't remember exactly what form they would take but I don't think we specifically discussed a special constructor.   Regardless, I don't believe this functionality is high up in our backlog list, at the moment.

All Replies
  • I assume you mean a constructor that is called to reconstitute an object that has been serialized, in a custom manner.  There were ideas about providing hooks for customization of serialization/deserialization.  I don't remember exactly what form they would take but I don't think we specifically discussed a special constructor.   Regardless, I don't believe this functionality is high up in our backlog list, at the moment.

• Hi Laura,

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. :)

No problem - thanks for coming back to me.

• Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to do in the (de)serialization constructor?

• I'm storing instance data in a dataset rather than member variables. It would be nice to bring the relevant underlying temp-table record(s) into scope automatically when an object is being de-serialized after it has been received by the called procedure...