Source code analysis for OpenEdge - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

Source code analysis for OpenEdge

Forum

Source code analysis for OpenEdge

• The first beta version of the OpenEge plugin for SonarQube is available !

SonarQube is an extensible platform to manage code quality, and Riverside Software is proud to release this plugin for the OpenEdge language !

The list of features can be seen from this page, and the getting started page will let you execute your first analysis in a few minutes. More pages will be added in the following days, but if you're interested in having more details about this plug-in, please contact us at contact@riverside-software.fr

• Looks nice, I'm very glad to see this

• Wow this is great news :)

I was looking through the current rules and i can think of some more that would be very useful.

What is the best place to suggest new rules?

Will there be documentation on how to implement custom rules?

• A small issue concerning the strategy of compiling debug-listings. When include arguments are passed:

{ i.i &defines-only = true }
    &if defined( defines-only ) = 0 &then
       function myfunc returns logical in {1}.
    &endif

The debug listing (stripped of line numbers) is then:

&if defined( defines-only ) = 0 &then
      function myfunc returns logical in true.
    &endif

Since the debug listing does not have the defines, the line which should not be compiled, is.

The work-around is to promote the include arguments to actual preprocessors:

&scoped-define defines-only true
    { i.i }

This could be considered a bug in the debug-list option of the compiler, but I suppose debug-listings were never considered to be compile units.

• Thanks Stefan for reporting this issue ! The debug listing step will probably be optional in the future, we're working on that !

sublam : documentation on Confluence will enhanced during the next days and weeks, and will include instructions on how to write new rules. For rules suggestions, please send an email to contact@riverside-software.fr and we'll open an account on Confluence.

• Thank you for you answer.

I tried to setup the analysis but i ran into an issue.

The analysis doesn't seem to recognice any of my db tables that are referenced in the code.

I get error messages like "Unknown table name: Customer"

I have set the property with the full df dump in my buildscript like this:

<property name="sonar.oe.databases" value="${env.WORKSPACE}\Schema\Dump.df" />

The second problem i have is that the analyzer cant seem to find the debug listing files. i get the error

Can not analyze debug listing file C:\Buildfolder\Build\.dbg 

But the files are present in the C:\Buildfolder\Build\.dbg  folder.

• Hi sublam :

* Do you use the Ant task or the SonarRunner job ?

* Can you double-check the value of sonar.oe.databases in your script ?

* Can you enable the verbose mode ? With the Ant task, just add '-v' in your command line, and with the SonarRunner add '-X' to the java command line. Here's what I'm getting with this verbose switch on a demo project :

[java] 09:43:52.107 INFO  - Using schema : dump/sp2k.df:abc,dump/empty.df:newdb

[java] 09:43:52.114 DEBUG - Parsing C:\Users\gquer\Projets\sonar-test-project\dump\sp2k.df with alias abc

[java] 09:43:52.357 DEBUG - Parsing C:\Users\gquer\Projets\sonar-test-project\dump\empty.df with alias newdb

[java] 09:43:52.380 DEBUG - Adding sp2k aliases to database abc

[java] 09:43:52.381 DEBUG - Adding db2 aliases to database newdb

I assume the debug listing problem might be related to the first one.

And just in case, environment variables are not expanded in .properties files IIRC.

• I am using the ant task.

I activated the verbose mode and looked through the logs again and i get the following message:

[sonar:sonar] Using schema : C:\Jenkins\workspace\Sonar_Test\Schema\Dump.df

[sonar:sonar] Unable to write proparse.schema file

The path to the df is correct.

• Could you try using a relative path instead of an absolute path ? I think there might an issue with Windows absolute paths.

• Thank you that was the problem.

Still getting a few errors in the analysis, but i think these are just some unsupported keywords.

I will create tickets on github for these errors.

• HI,

i am using sonar runner, i tried with 10 programs, it did worked and generated analysis, i then ran with large set of programs and got below error -

ERROR: Error during SonarQube Scanner execution

java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "-("

at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.

java:65)

at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:492)

I searched for "-(" character in my programs, found 4 programs, so i did ran for those programs only, it ran without any error.

Any idea? what is the issue?

• Hello,

The stack trace is too short to have any valuable information. Would you be able to post it here, or open an issue on github.com/.../issues ?

• Hi,

Thanks for reply, i have created an issue on github - github.com/.../9

• Thanks for sharing, sounds promising !