OOABL and cleaning up handles - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

OOABL and cleaning up handles

Forum

OOABL and cleaning up handles

• Jeff, sounds like a perfect case for turning the TT into a JSON object which can be easily consumed by any manner of destination clients.  JSON objects serialize to simple strings which have none of the issues of TTs.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• Beg my pardon, but I cannot see how this generalized statement applies to the original question. Hence my suggestion to start a different discussion thread to make it easier for future olks to find the probably valuable information you are providing in the right place.

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Jeff, sounds like a perfect case for turning the TT into a JSON object which can be easily consumed by any manner of destination clients.  JSON objects serialize to simple strings which have none of the issues of TTs.

Ha ha ha

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• It was not my intention to turn this into a big debate here, merely to note the issue and move on.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• > It was not my intention to turn this into a big debate here, merely to note the issue and move on.

Ha ha ha

--

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager

• Thomas Mercer-Hursh
    It was not my intention to turn this into a big debate here, merely to note the issue and move on.

Ummm....no. 

I talk about a little project to OOize certain TT/PDS functionality, and you're all over my case about how I'm "wrong" to do so. Now in this thread you say TT an an Object is the "right" thing to do and doing it otherwise is wrong.... what are we to believe? 

• Noting that one is asking the wrong question and that there is another way to think about the problem is something I frequently do.  I think that is appropriate and useful ... just like it was back in the early days of event driven programming when people kept asking about techniques to force people to stay in fields with bad data instead of letting them navigate the screen freely.   That doesn't mean that those who have a contrary position need to do anything more than note their position and we can all move on.  It is still the case that it was not my intent, then or now, to turn this into a protracted debate about what is right or wrong.  To be sure, that would be better in its own thread.  But, even given the existence of such a thread, I think it is right to point out the alternative in the context of specific questions like this one since people reading this thread may not read the "theoretical" one.