PASOE Broker Owner/Username - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

PASOE Broker Owner/Username

Forum

PASOE Broker Owner/Username

This question is not answered

Hi.

In "traditional" AppServer, one can specify a broker owner (i.e. username) that the agent runs under. If not specified, it inherits the user specified for the Admin Server. That property is N/A for PASOE. Is there a way to specify a username for the agent in PASOE? 

Jeff Ledbetter
Product Architect | Roundtable Software

All Replies
  • Hi Roy. Thanks. That would be a valid work-around but not really a solution to what we (or our customers) may need. Going back to my traditional appserver example, one may have their admin server starting as a root but want/need to specify different appserver broker owners for each appserver that is running. For PASOE, it looks like this is something that has to be done via the command line with tcman. We'll have to educate ourselves on using it and see if that is a solution. I was under the impression that one could do everything they need via OEM.

Jeff Ledbetter

• PASOE doesn’t require an admin server in production. Having said that, maybe there is an enhancement request for OEM/Admin Server to support this functionality. Does your software rely on an admin server?

Dave

• Hi.

What would the enhancement request be? The ability to specify the -U and -G via the OEM UI? If so, then I am all for that.

"Does your software rely on an admin server?"

Not specifically; it just runs on an appserver.

My overall goal with this question is to be able to provide our users some general guidance when they are setting up our application (Rountable) on either a traditional AppServer or PASOE server. Since PASOE is new to many, the more questions that we can answer up-front in our installation documentation the better.

Jeff Ledbetter

• -U -G is only applicable at instance creation time, and because the workaround is to manually use chown and chmod, it hasn’t been a high priority.

Starting a PASOE instance under a specific user is a feature for the entity that is starting it. In this case it would be OEM/Admin Server. This currently isn’t in our backlog, so working with PM and the OEM Product Owner to get it created and prioritized would be what I suggest.

Dave

• Ok.

Just to clarify.. assuming that the -U and -G parameters work at instance creation time, does that mean the instance will inherit those at run-time as well? And any OS access/file-creation will respect those values? If so, that is probably fine.

The doc states:

"–U user_id

Specify the user-id of the owner of all the files and directories of the instance. The default is the user-id of the current process"

The last sentence confused me a bit. If this a tcman parameter, what is meant by "use-id of the current process"? Since this is is the command-line, the user-id executing the command?

Jeff Ledbetter

• That just means if you don’t specify -U, then the file owner will be the user that executed the tcman command.

Dave