OE 11.7.2 in Windows Server Core on Windows Docker - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

OE 11.7.2 in Windows Server Core on Windows Docker

Forum

OE 11.7.2 in Windows Server Core on Windows Docker

This question is not answered

Just another check to see if anyone has successfully gotten OE to install correctly in a Windows Server Core container using Docker. Last post I see regarding this is from January with no responses: https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_general/f/26/t/36953

I know it's still not Certified, just trying to avoid a Linux container right now.

I've gotten OE to seemingly install, but it's not creating all files like the fathom.properties, there's a jvmstart error in the event viewer, adminserverplugins.properties is missing some config, etc.

Just curious who may have gotten this working or has any suggestions.

Thanks

All Replies
  • If adminserverplugins.properties is missing some sections it means some of the tailoring steps failed.  Check the logs in $DLC/install/ and the subdirectories.  Should have some messages on what failed.

• Hi,

Windows server core is not supported or tested with OpenEdge products:

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../000041790  

Probably the issue is related to a missing Windows component on the Windows server core installation on the hyper-V virtual machine used by the docker container and not something caused by a Docker related issue.

The best way to troubleshoot this would be to do a Windows server core (and not a regular default full Windows server version of Windows) installation in a standalone virtual machine and investigate the adminserver issue on that virtual machine running Windows server core. Once the silent OpenEdge installation and the adminserver works fine on the standalone virtual machine then the batch scripts and the Windows core configuration (the added missing Windows components) used in the virtual machine can then probably be used for a Docker container where the adminserver works fine.  

Hope this helps,

Tinco

• Thanks for the tips Matt, I'll dig through those.

• Compared all the tailoring logs with a functioning 11.7.2 install and didn't see any differences unfortunately. Looks like I'll have to run through Tinco's suggestions when I have some time.