Use of Correct indentation - Eclipse - Forum - OpenEdge General - Progress Community

Use of Correct indentation - Eclipse

Forum

Use of Correct indentation - Eclipse

This question is not answered

I am a big fan of using correct case, expand keywords and indentation, but for the Indentation I would love to have it in another way, is that possible?

I get:

FIND FIRST hendelseRSTO NO-LOCK WHERE hendelseRSTO.ans#    = hendelse.ans#
    AND hendelseRSTO.son_aar = hendelse.son_aar
    AND hendelseRSTO.son_lnr = hendelse.son_lnr
    AND hendelseRSTO.Jour_lnr = hendelse.hend_lnr
    AND NOT hendelse.Slettet NO-ERROR.

I would love:

FIND FIRST hendelseRSTO NO-LOCK WHERE hendelseRSTO.ans#    = hendelse.ans#
                                                                       AND hendelseRSTO.son_aar = hendelse.son_aar
                                                                       AND hendelseRSTO.son_lnr = hendelse.son_lnr
                                                                      AND hendelseRSTO.Jour_lnr = hendelse.hend_lnr
                                                                      AND NOT hendelse.Slettet

NO-ERROR.

Is it possible ?

All Replies
  • FOR FIRST is even worse.

Try this with EACH and then replace EACH with FIRST:

for EACH customer no-lock where discount > 10 by discount:

display cust-num name discount.

end.

If you expected that result for FIRST I'd be interested in how you would explain it to a user.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• It is not possible to post good looking code examples on communities :(

And you are still using FIRST.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• Thanks, nice to know that I have done BIG mistakes the last 25 years 😊 ok, now I know better and will NOT BE USING FIRST with my FIND 😊

//Geir Otto

• Please be aware that there are valid reasons to use a find first - it's not always wrong as has been suggested.

Say you have an accounts package and you want to display the oldest outstanding transaction for an account in an enquiry.  

You can do a find first on the transaction table for the account where the status is open using an index that contains account, status and transaction date.

• I believe I thought of the unknown value and that I was technically right.

Try with this:  Did I really miss something?

DEFINE TEMP-TABLE hendelse NO-UNDO

FIELD Slettet  AS logical

INDEX Slettet  Slettet.

CREATE hendelse.

hendelse.Slettet = ?.

VALIDATE hendelse.

FIND FIRST hendelse WHERE NOT hendelse.Slettet NO-ERROR.

MESSAGE AVAILABLE hendelse

VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

• Of course it's not ALWAYS wrong -- just 999 times out of 10 ;)  Finding a few cases where it is ok does not make it valid to glue FIRST onto every FIND.  THAT behavior is what I claim is ALWAYS wrong.  It is NOT appropriate to ALWAYS code FIND FIRST.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• The easiest way to post pretty code is to reply via email with HTML email; then paste your ABL from PDSOE (which keeps the formatting) . Note that this only works with lower-case code.

/** Returns a byte at the specified position, and increments the
            position marker.

@param int64 The position at which to return the byte.
            @return integer The byte value at the current position */

method public integer GetByte(input piStartPos as int64):
            define variable iStartIndex as integer no-undo.
            define variable iGetFrom as integer no-undo.

• The only valid uses for FIND FIRST is if you know there's a number of records with values that match the WHERE criteria, and you're ok with that. 

Say you're checking OrderLine to see if any records exists for an Order.OrderNum. In that case a structure like this

FIND FIRST OrderLine 
        WHERE OrderLine.OrderNum = Order. OrderNum 
        NO-LOCK
        NO-ERROR

is appropriate. 

Another example is the question of whether any of the OrderLine records for an Order have been processed - 

FIND FIRST OrderLine 
        WHERE OrderLine.OrderNum = Order. OrderNum  AND 
                      OrderLine.isProcessed = TRUE
        NO-LOCK
        NO-ERROR

also is appropriate. 

What isn't appropriate is something like this - 

FIND FIRST OrderLine 
        WHERE OrderLine.OrderNum = Order. OrderNum  AND 
                      OrderLine.LineNum = 1
        NO-LOCK
        NO-ERROR

because OrderLine.OrderNum,  OrderLine.LineNum is supposed to be unique for that table. If for some reason the OrderLine table got a duplicate Orderline, Linenum record a FIND FIRST would cover up that fact instead of failing spectacularly like it should.

Tim Kuehn

• Although, to pick nits, in your examples in a client/server environment I would use can-find() because it doesn't pull the records across the network ;)

• @James - it all depends on your use-case. If you want to check for the existence of a condition then CAN-FIND is better. If you need a value from one of the records, then FIND is required. 

• To reinforce what Tom has said ... this being an area where we agree! ... one of the key bad things about FIND FIRST is not so much that the program will behave incorrectly as what you are communicating to any future developer who has to deal with the code (which might be you, 10 years later, when you have forgotten everything about the code.  If you find the first record in a group and treat it specially, then you have violated normal form.  So, CAN-FIND is fine because you are merely determining whether a given set is null or not and you don't care about the count as long as it is not zero.  But, the minute you so much as use a value from the record which happens to come first, you are treating that record as special and are violating normal form.  Storing something in it is even worse.

And, if the specified criteria are sufficient to uniquely identify a record, so the issue about one of  a set does not exist, then using FIND FIRST communicates to the later programmer that there is a set, which is not true.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com