New Deferred Logging in PASOE - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community
 Forum

New Deferred Logging in PASOE

This question is answered

Has anyone tested the "deferred logging" feature in PASOE?

https://docs.progress.com/bundle/pas-for-openedge-admin/page/Use-deferred-logging-in-PAS-for-OpenEdge.html

It looks like this is new in PASOE for 11.7.5.  It sounds like it is some sort of an in-memory "flight-recorder" that will capture the last moments of time before an agent process dies.  If necessary you can also pre-emptively request the contents of the in-memory buffer using REST.

This might have some potential.  The theory is that the new "deferred" logging will have better performance than a regular log since it is just buffering into memory.  That may give us the opportunity to use a much higher "deferred" logging level than the stuff that goes straight to disk.  It also allows us to have less noise and clutter in the regular agent logs on disk.

I suspect that this is the feature which caused normal agent logging to start misbehaving in 11.7.5 (... and I'm hoping it was worth it!)

Verified Answer
  • David,

Deferred logging is not added to 11.7.5, It is  added only in 12.1. We intended to add it in 11.7.5 at first, but we didn't.

Regards,

Irfan

All Replies
  • David,

Deferred logging is not added to 11.7.5, It is  added only in 12.1. We intended to add it in 11.7.5 at first, but we didn't.

Regards,

Irfan

• Confused You need to add more emojis on this forum like they have on github.  This would definitely get a frowny face!

What I'm hearing is that those of us on 11.7.5 got some half-portion of the underlying programming changes, and the result is that we get all of the bugs but none of the benefits.

The two issues I had noticed have been that (1) my logging level is somehow coerced to another value that is different than what I had specified, and that (2) the dynamic changing of agent logging won't take effect anymore.  Even better yet ...  since 11.7 is in maintenance mode and this isn't considered a high priority, we have to wait at least six months for the regressions to be fixed again in 11.7.6.

Here are my findings related to pasoe agent logging: