OE 11.6 Dev studio fails to open class in visual designer - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

OE 11.6 Dev studio fails to open class in visual designer

Forum

OE 11.6 Dev studio fails to open class in visual designer

This question is answered

Hi,

We have a support case open with progress for this defect, but wondered if anyone had experienced the same and had found a workaround?

Basically when opening the visual designer we get the following error message:

Visual Designer Cannot load this class: and exception occured loading the design canvas: The invoked member is not supported before the type is created.

Regards,

Paul Radbone.

Verified Answer
  • I've had this before when the class contained a variable of the same type as the class itself. Is that the case here as well? I would have to look up how I worked around it...

All Replies
  • I've had this before when the class contained a variable of the same type as the class itself. Is that the case here as well? I would have to look up how I worked around it...

• Sorry, not quite.

We're using a superclass form inheriting Progress.Windows.Form and any form inheriting it can't be opened in the designer.

We also have an inherited RadGridView and a variable defined as this superclass type stops it  being added to a control group in the toolbox or added to a form.

Edit: I was wrong, there was a variable for an inherited form of the same class, e.g. TopForm.cls had a variable of class SubForm.cls that inherited TopForm.cls. I thought I needed the variable to do a cast of THIS-OBJECT into the SubForm variable but THIS-OBJECT:GetClass():TypeName gives me 'SubForm', I mistakenly thought it would give 'TopForm'. That means I don't need the variable at all.