CLASS and Delete object xxxxx - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community
 Forum

CLASS and Delete object xxxxx

This question is answered

OE116

I wounder how the cleanup is done, or if it is done when doing the following code:

If the class has a def temp-table ... etc.

def var oClass as class myClass().

do i = 1 to 100:

oClass = new myClass().

:

: 

end.

delete object oClass.

Will the delete fix all of them, or do I have to handle this different? and if so, how?

//Geir Otto

Verified Answer
  • Documentation … and reality ;-) the ABL GC works synchronously. Reference gone. Object gone.
    Von: Tim Kuehn [mailto:bounce-timk519@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 20:21
    An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
    Betreff: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] CLASS and Delete object xxxxx

Update from Progress Community

Mike Fechner
    So in short – all your objects will be killed in the order the way instantiated.

The docs specifically state there is no guarantee they'll be deleted in any particular order - if your code depends on order of deletion the application has to do it explicitly.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

All Replies
  • Assuming there are no other references hanging around to your myClass instances…

The DELETE OBJECT oClass will only delete the last instance.

But don’t panic. The instance 1 to 99 will be cleaned up by the next iteration of the DO i = 1 TO 100 loop. Everytime you assign a NEW myClass to oClass, the last reference to the previous myClass instance is voided and the ABL garbage collector will trash the orphaned instance.

So in short – all your objects will be killed in the order the way instantiated.
    Von: goo [mailto:bounce-goo@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 19:33
    Betreff: [Technical Users - OE Development] CLASS and Delete object xxxxx

OE116

I wounder how the cleanup is done, or if it is done when doing the following code:

If the class has a def temp-table ... etc.

def var oClass as class myClass().

do i = 1 to 100:

oClass = new myClass().

:

: 

end.

delete object oClass.

Will the delete fix all of them, or do I have to handle this different? and if so, how?

//Geir Otto

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To stop receiving updates from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Geir,

Use -clientlog <filename> -logginglevel 4 -logentrytypes DynObjects.Class to see what happens.

Brian

• Garbage collection will "probably fix it", but..

I prefer to DELETE whatever I CREATE, so:

do i=1 to 100 ON ERROR UNDO, THROW:

oClass = new myClass().

FINALLY:

DELETE OBJECT oClass.

END.

end.

My recommendation:

- Delete everything you create

- Delete nothing

anything in between is confusing.

David.

• So puristic J

Just kidding. I share your PoV. But I also believe it’s absolutely essential for every OOABL developer to understand how/when the GC works.

Von: David Abdala [mailto:bounce-dabdala@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 20:12

Garbage collection will "probably fix it", but..

I prefer to DELETE whatever I CREATE, so:

do i=1 to 100 ON ERROR UNDO, THROW:

oClass = new myClass().

FINALLY:

DELETE OBJECT oClass.

END.

end.

My recommendation:

- Delete everything you create

- Delete nothing

anything in between is confusing.

David.

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• Mike Fechner

The docs specifically state there is no guarantee they'll be deleted in any particular order - if your code depends on order of deletion the application has to do it explicitly.

• Documentation … and reality ;-) the ABL GC works synchronously. Reference gone. Object gone.
    Von: Tim Kuehn [mailto:bounce-timk519@community.progress.com]
    Gesendet: Montag, 19. Dezember 2016 20:21

Mike Fechner

View online

Consultingwerk Ltd.

Right now that's true, and will be true until PSC decides to change the GC algorithm to something else. There are already requests in the works for changes like deferring all object deletions until the end of an appserver call for performance reasons. 

• Thanks, all, I hoped that was the way it worked.

• I would recommend against explicitly deleting objects using the delete object statement.

In your case each iteration of the loop will cause the reference to the previous object to be overwritten with the new one, causing it to get garbage collected (when the actual collection occurs should not concern you).

Only the last iteration's object will stay around for as long as there's a reference to it. If the variable that references it goes out of scope, that object will also be release and eventually garbage collected.

For global variables (or similar) just set them to ? to clear the reference and let the garbage collector do its work.

• That is like recommending to leave your house door wide open, for the garbage collector guy to pick up the garbage for you. It may sound like a "comfortable" idea, but I will never suggest that.

It's truly very optimistic. You will never really know how many references there are to an object, unless you fully control the class implementation, which is never true for most systems.

References to an object are not only the variables where you initially store the object, but also any reference another object may have to it. Can you be sure about what happens to an object that PUBLISH and it's explicit reference is lost? I don't, I won't bet on it, it may change at any moment, as none of us controls garbage collector implementation.

• So what do you recommend to do a controlled garbage collection?

• I always recommend to explicitly delete objects that you don't longer need. That not only ensures there are no "hanging around objects" but also helps others understand the code.

Think about another programmer looking at the code:

- The object is not deleted because is garbage collected

- The object is not deleted because is used somewhere else

- The object is not deleted because is internally referenced by global objects

You should document that, it's a lot easier to just delete the object. Explicitly deleting objects has no drawbacks, not doing so does.

Garbage collection is a great feature but should not be used as a "programming practice" because it may bite you harder than you can imagine, and if that happens the only solution will be to go back to the code and add all the "missing deletes".

In your original example, adding a FINALLY block where you DELETE the object, is more than enough, and puts your intentions very clearly. My first thinking of  your example was that you created 100 objects to do a "parallel" sort of stuff with all of them, only because there was no DELETE statement.. (yes, I know I'm weird..)

• I’m definitively with David on this… and I do hate the ‘dispose (anti) pattern’ as well, mind you even in 4GL there are ‘unmanaged resources’ that you need to clean yourself as won’t be handled by the GC (sockets, com handles, sax/x-document, etc).

On the other hand the delete object statement can be used to kill one’s references if you get hold of them… like a public get only property, maybe it would be an idea to have delete object throw an error if exercised on a private set property but that shows how little fait one can have in his/her fellow developers ;)

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
    +40 740 036 212

• In 4GL we would do something like this:
    Is it possible or necessary to do something like that when it comes to use of oObject = NEW ……. ?? Or will each object that has been lost ref. oObject = NEW will override previous ref to the object, be deleted because lack of reference ?

***********************  you see the picture J
    Def temp-table ttCollect no-undo
      Field hObject as handle

:
    I.ex if I make a call to a external procedure

:
    Run blabla.p set hTmp.

AddCollect(hTmp).
    :
    :

FINNALY:
      For each ttCollect:
        Delete object ttCollect.hObject no-error.
      End.
    END.
    Fra: marian.edu [mailto:bounce-marianedu@community.progress.com]
    Sendt: torsdag 22. desember 2016 13.38
    Til: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
    Emne: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] CLASS and Delete object xxxxx

I’m definitively with David on this… and I do hate the ‘dispose (anti) pattern’ as well, mind you even in 4GL there are ‘unmanaged resources’ that you need to clean yourself as won’t be handled by the GC (sockets, com handles, sax/x-document, etc).

On the other hand the delete object statement can be used to kill one’s references if you get hold of them… like a public get only property, maybe it would be an idea to have delete object throw an error if exercised on a private set property but that shows how little fait one can have in his/her fellow developers ;)

Marian Edu

Acorn IT 
    +40 740 036 212

View online

• I recently had this bite me in production - a Progress-supplied class had something going on under the covers that prevented it from getting GC'd, and it didn't get caught until it got to production.

DELETE OBJECT never harms and can save you from production related excitement.