Data Dictionary - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community
 Forum

Data Dictionary

• I'm not advocating only fixing for Window, but I am also aware that there are limits to what one can do in the ChUI interface.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• > No reason not to use the GUI one to maintain a DB on a Linux platform using -S and -H either.

I disagree.  When I deploy a Linux-only application with AppServers and batch clients running server-side, I don't configure my 4GL broker to allow remote connections.  And I'm not going to do that just for schema maintenance.  And if I wanted to do that after the fact, it could take weeks (and security approvals, and change-management tickets, and solution-design diagram revisions, and pushing firewall rules, etc. etc.) to do that in a financial services production environment.  No thanks.  

Customers (smart ones, anyway) have embraced the principle of least privilege.  It's no longer a case of "give me a range of 100 ports to work with because that's the WebSpeed default".  The act of opening ports on a server has to be justified and auditor-approved.  "I want to use a GUI instead of a CHUI" is a flimsy justification.

I'm all for refreshing Progress utilities and tools across the board, both in modernizing the look and feel and in improving functionality and workflow.  After all, app vendors are judged by association based on the platforms we use and the companies we partner with.  So if the GUI dictionary also gets a polish job, great.  But I deploy cross-platform, and when I work on the DB I want to do it on the DB server, if at all possible.  So CHUI is my primary environment for admin work.  And as Tom said, using CHUI makes it easier to make tools and snippets that you write once and run everywhere.

• I have no problem with you're wanting to do ChUI.  I just think there is a limited amount of modernization of the UI.  Some functional things, yes.  Some UI like resizability.   But, there is only so much one can do with ChUI.

I just had a "wonderful" example of a structural improvement.  I have spent the better part of the day off and on making a sweeping set of changes related to my other post community.progress.com/.../67387.aspx   Very tedious work.   On the next to the last file, I accidentally deleted the table instead of the index.   Well, Ctrl-Z to undo seems like a good idea ... only it undid everything I did today.  Seems like questionable transaction scoping.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• I gave up on both UIs long ago and just wrote a program to consume a spreadsheet.

Same thing for the reports. I have my own tools for most of that stuff.

It would be nice for Progress to update both of them but I suspect our best hope would be something web based using Telerik controls.

• I would note that there is an API I to handle a lot of DBA stuff, so it'd "just" be a matter of writing a UI for it.

Tim Kuehn

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Fido network.
    Sent: Saturday, July 4, 2015 17:54
    To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
    Reply To: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
    Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE Development] Data Dictionary

Reply by TheMadDBA

I gave up on both UIs long ago and just wrote a program to consume a spreadsheet.

Same thing for the reports. I have my own tools for most of that stuff.

It would be nice for Progress to update both of them but I suspect our best hope would be something web based using Telerik controls.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

• Among the things which needs help is the reporting.  Print to the printer and there's no margin so, if one three hole punches it, the holes are in the text.  Print it to file and it loses the form feeds.  This isn't hard, folks.  Yes, I know there are other programs, but shouldn't the standard one be reasonable?

• I have recreated the work I did yesterday by editing a .df.  While crude and error prone, it was actually faster than using the Dictionary itself and there were things I caught that way which I wouldn't catch the other way.  I like the idea of a web-based interface and the potential for using the hyperlinks and real-estate for clear presentation and good editing capabilities.

• Roundtable provides a pretty sweet replacement for the Data Dictionary... that's how we roll.

Jeff Ledbetter

Roundtable Product Architect

www.roundtable-software.com

• I would be happy with a web interface

• Jeff, that is really only of interest in the context if you are going to contribute the code to PSC since my issue here is with the tool which PSC delivers with its product.

• Back when the source code was released as PSDN, we could have done this ourselves.  But you're absolutely right about Progress supplying an updated one.  Really, there is host of dialog boxes and windows in the WIndows development environment (pre-PDSOE) that are frustratingly small and non-resizable.

• These days the source code IS available on Progress Communities….

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.