System.InvalidOperationException. Use Form.ShowDialog Instead? - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

System.InvalidOperationException. Use Form.ShowDialog Instead?

Forum

System.InvalidOperationException. Use Form.ShowDialog Instead?

• I have a .cls splash screen (splash.cls) which has a button which when clicked runs our .w tree menu structure (treemenu.w). This all works fine.

I have the following code which runs a.cls file (aForm.cls) when double clicking an icon within our menu structure ....

DEFINE VARIABLE frm AS Cls.aForm NO-UNDO.

frm = NEW Cls.aForm().

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:RUN (frm).

DELETE OBJECT frm.

I then get the following error pop-up. System.InvalidOperationException. Starting a second message loop on a single thread is not a valid operation. Use Form.ShowDialog() Instead.

I'm aware the issue seems to be around having two cls files running as when I run aForm.cls without splash.cls running, aForm.cls runs fine. I'm just wondering how I go about using Form.ShowDialog and where?

I hope I've managed to make some sense here, I've attached some screenshots as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dez

Screenshots.doc

• The rule is: One World, One WAIT-FOR..

The piece of code that invokes the splash.cls must have a WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:RUN() which is the only WAIT-FOR that you should have. Delete the WAIT-FOR in your tree menu program.

• Hi Kevin,

If I remove the wait-for from the .w tree menu the menu closes as soon as it opens

Thanks, Dez

• Hi Derek,

did you delete the line "DELETE OBJECT frm." in your tree menu program aswell?

Regards, Marko

• sorry double posted

• I don't think I've made myself clear sorry.

When I'm double clicking on the icon "run cls file" in the tree menu (see screenshot from first post) it is in affect running a .p called runner.p which calls aForm.cls. It is this file that contains....

frm = NEW Cls.aForm().

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:RUN (frm).

DELETE OBJECT frm.

....not the treemenu.w program itself.

Dez

• FYI I tried removing the delete object frm from runner.p but I still get the same InvalidOperationException message.

Dez

• If you start modal form (like ShowDialog() from System.Windows.Forms.Form class) you can try following code:

1. Insert into aForm class following public method:

METHOD PUBLIC VOID ShowModalDialog( ):

WAIT-FOR THIS-OBJECT:ShowDialog().

END METHOD.

2. Use next code to launch modal aForm from your .w code:

frm = NEW Cls.aForm().

frm:ShowModalDialog().

Bye!

• You star!

• Ivica.Loncar schrieb:

If you start modal form (like ShowDialog() from System.Windows.Forms.Form class) you can try following code:

1. Insert into aForm class following public method:

METHOD PUBLIC VOID ShowModalDialog( ):

WAIT-FOR THIS-OBJECT:ShowDialog().

END METHOD.

2. Use next code to launch modal aForm from your .w code:

frm = NEW Cls.aForm().

frm:ShowModalDialog().

Bye!

I'd rather not implement the ShowModalDialog method.

I'd prefer to be using the WAIT-FOR frm:ShowDialog () method directly in the .w file. A big benefit will be that you get access to the DialogResult:

/* in your .w file */

DEFINE VARIABLE oDialogResult AS System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult NO-UNDO.

WAIT-FOR frm:ShowDialog () SET oDialogResult.

IF Progress.Util.EnumHelper:AreEqual (oDialogResult, System.Windows.Forms.DialogResult:Ok) THEN

There's no real benefit in creating a public method that just calls another public method (and hides the result).

• Hi Mike,

In terms of what I want to achieve what is advantage of having access to DialogResult (never heard of it sorry!)?

Thanks, Dez

• Thank you Mike, your example works ok.

Do you have any idea how to start modeless forms (using Show() method) from .w file.

When i try that, WAIT-FOR frm:Show() method throws exception with progress error number 13967.

• You need to use the .NET WAIT-FOR forehand. Basically you have to replace the WAIT-FOR CLOSE OF THIS-PROCEDURE from your main window (.w) with the

WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run () .

You need to create a dummy object first and use the System.Windows.Forms.Application:Exit() to terminate that WAIT-FOR. See my Bravepoint VI presentation, slide 12 for sample code.

http://www.consultingwerk.de/fileadmin/user_upload/pdf/OpenEdge%20GUI%20for%20.NET%20Adoption%20%26%20Migration%20Strategies.pdf

• Hi Mike,

What's the dummy object for? My application seems to work fine with just the Application:Run().

• What's the dummy object for? My application seems to work

fine with just the Application:Run().

That WAIT-FOR requires at least one .NET object before it's run. So I guess in your case, you'll have touched the .NET framework before using a different object.

Then you may ignore that.