Is it possible to capture snapshots when profiling in PDSOE? - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

Is it possible to capture snapshots when profiling in PDSOE?

Forum

Is it possible to capture snapshots when profiling in PDSOE?

This question is not answered

Is it possible to create snapshots, so it will be possible to profile only a specific functionality at a time? Or at least a differencing tool to compare two .prof files. 

All Replies
  • I would typically wrap small portions of the code (or copy/paste snippets) into a test program.  Then I run the test program with profiling enabled.

The only real challenge is when a complex set of parameters or a large dataset is used as an input to one portion of the profiled code which is of interest.

In that case, I often save the dataset out to a file with WRITE-XML.  And my test program will read it back in again as a first step before doing the work that I want to have profiled.

• Hi Joseph, at present in PDSOE there is no provision to compare two profiler sessions or create snapshots. There is a tool (Profiler Control tool) in Progress forum (https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_general/w/openedgegeneral/1980.profiler-control-tool ). Is this something you are looking for?

Thanks,

Brahma

• Thanks,

I will check it out.