Choosing Web Development Technology - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

Choosing Web Development Technology

Forum

Choosing Web Development Technology

• hi bronco

I understand how industry is revolutionized in recent years. But I am not targeting a big leap from 1995 to 2018. Initially on phase one I would first jump onto 2010 or 2015 with a vision to easy upgrade into more modern system. I believe at this point any nice looking and cost effective solution is better.

regards

avtar

• Yes it can, are you coming to Dublin this week? We are doing a webclient on steroids talk and there we will do a small demo on how to, in an easy way, using webspeed.

• As an example .
    HTML (webserver)

$.ajax({
      type: "POST",
      data: {id:"XXXttXX"},
      dataType: "json",
      url: "localhost/.../customer.r",
      success: function(data,textStatus, JQxhr) {myReceiveData(data);},
      error: function(JQxhr,textStatus,errorThrown) {alert("WHAT!! – does not happen…" + errorThrown);}
      })

Webspeed:        Customer.r         (server/backoffice)

{src/web2/wrap-cgi.i}

/* ReceivingFields: Fields we receives from calling HTML
    current=1&rowCount=10&sort[sender]=asc&searchPhrase=&id=b0df282a-0d67-40e5-8558-c9e93b7befed
    */
    output-content-type ("application/json":U).
    fix-codepage(lc) = 'UTF-8'.
    ReceivingFields = string(web-context:form-input).

run JBoxLoadLib.p ("JBoxASlib.p,JBoxUiLib.p").

oQuery = new JBoxQuery('Customer;CustNum;Name').

// oQuery:InitFilterGroup("custnumgroup", "AND").
    // oQuery:addFilterGroupCriteria("custnumgroup", "and", "custnum", "gt", "10").
    // oQuery:addFilterGroupCriteria("custnumgroup", "and", "custnum", "lt", "400").
     oQuery:setFilter("name","begins","a").

//oQuery:setFilter('custnum,name','gt,begins','100|a').

oQuery:rowsToBatch = 10. /** Number in batch*/
    oQuery:setQuerySort('custnum;desc').
    oQuery:getRecordCount = true.

:
    :

oQuery:openQuery().
    :
    :
    oQuery:BUFFER-HANDLE:write-json('stream',"Webstream").

As you can see, it is a very small demo, but you can figure out how much you could to with this small code.

To be able to send correct json, you will need build a correct json where you could add fields needed for sorting, curentrecord, RecordTotal etc. But that is easy 😊

This will give you all records in the filter scope and only custnum and name…

The Jukebox stuff is just a kind of toolbox we uses, and you can of course do this with temp-tables etc. The cool thing with jukebox, is that you don’t have to have a db connected to the webspeed broker, since we can connect do a appserver on another machine … blablabla

Enough said 😊 point made

• hi Goo

Where can I download "Jukebox stuff" from? is this builtin feature of OE11?

• It is a toolbox of Chemistry AS by Brynjar. You may send him an email. You find him :

http://www.chemistry.no

• You can install 32 & 64 bit side-by-side, we use PDS 64 bit and run the application in 32bit when we need legacy OCX

• This sounds good. I wish I could have tried.

I was feared to install two types on same machine. Several oePAS knowledge base articles I find are blaming installation of 32bit and 64 bit on same machine and suggest to start from scratch from a new machine. I did not want to end up in situation of having corrupt PROGRESS installation and not even having 32bit.

• Hi

Sorry to ask this slight off track.

After exploring, evaluating and checking feasibility, I am thinking to chooses following items to start with Web development  in OE -

A. I already have OE11.x installed

B. IIS server and OE webspeed brokers and CGIIP.EXE [to support PSE]

C. PSE script based dynamic web pages

D. HTML AJAX calls fulfilled by server side programs returning JSON  data

E. Angular JS framework for Responsive and Nice looking UI [including ng-grid] . I am still checking feasibility because yet not sure how to install angular on server -- any comments on Angular, will it work with webspeed?

• Angular is a framework for the front-end and works with all back-ends, including webspeed (will work best if Webspeed is returning JSON data, as others have mentioned already. You mention "Angular JS framework for Responsive and Nice looking UI" - that is not part of Angular, ng-grid and other providers (such as Telerik) provide components that work well with Angular, but those components can also work without Angular.

You will be building dynamic web pages with Angular - i.e. combining static HTML with the returned data. But rather than this happpening on the server, it will be done in the browser. Obviously you are free to decide on what the best approach is for your product, but Angular with a Progress (PASOE/WebHandlers/Classic Webspeed) back-end returning JSON data has worked well for us on a number of projects.