knowing if an R-Code is GUI/TTY or independent? - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

knowing if an R-Code is GUI/TTY or independent?

Forum

knowing if an R-Code is GUI/TTY or independent?

• *If* it is a valid handle ... that is the point.   If you do the test and come out with "None", then you have a positive indication that the test worked properly and you have a clear answer.  If you get a ?, then you have to determine whether or not that is a valid result.   This is not a position I take specific to this test, but a general principle that it is better to get a clear, definitive response indicating state.  ? should mean, state is unknown.  In this case, the state is clearly defined and entirely different from GUI or TTY.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• After looking at the other properties of the RCODE-INFO (or FILE-INFO) handle, I'd rather use the empty string for display type agnostic.

The unknown valud typically indicates the I passed a wrong value to the FILE-NAME at the first place.

• "PORTABLE" would be my choice

• If you don't have a valid handle, calling the property on it will fail.

-- peter

• Like an UI for portable devices?

I'd rather use a clearer term...

• RCODE-INFO handle invalid?

Call me naive - but it's still an 4GL where a static system widget is always accessible.

• I appreciate you calling yourself naïve rather than me wrong (which is, of course, more accurate).

Since the RCODE-INFO handle is a system handle and so always valid, Thomas's approach is the correct one. ? is returned when the RCODE-INFO handle doesn't actually point at any rcode.

"NONE" might be more accurate since it refers to no UI-specific code.

Would there be value in separating ABL GUI from .NET GUI in the response?

-- peter

• Would there be value in separating ABL GUI from .NET GUI in the response?

No.

Since both GUI's use the same runtime and both GUI's could be used in the same R-Code.

• Isn't the point that this piece of R-code has no UI rather than that it can be used in either?

None or NoUI seems more to the point.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• HI All:
    We will be able to provide a DISPLAY-TYPE attribute off of the RCODE system handle in the 11.3 release.
    Mike, thanks for raising this issue.
    Evan
    A portion of the functional spec for this change states:

DISPLAY-TYPE attribute

We will introduce a new attribute named DISPLAY-TYPE to the RCODE-INFO system handle that returns the display type forthe given r-code file.

Data type: CHARACTER
    Access mode: read-only
    DISPLAY-TYPE returns one of three values: “GUI”, “TTY” or a blank string (“”).
    If the r-code is generated using a GUI client andcontains UI-specific statements, it can only be executed by a GUI client. Ifyou query the DISPLAY-TYPE attribute, it will return the string “GUI”.
    Similarly, the DISPLAY-TYPE attribute returns the“TTY” string for r-code that was generated by a TTY client and containsUI-specific statements.
    The DISPLAY-TYPE attribute returns a blank string(“”) if the r-code does not contain any UI-specific statements, in which caseit can be executed by either a GUI or TTY client, independent of the type ofclient that generated the r-code.
    This is an example:
    RCODE-INFO:FILE-NAME = “filename.r”.
    DISPLAY RCODE-INFO:DISPLAY-TYPE.
    If you query the DISPLAY-TYPE attribute beforesetting the FILE-NAME attribute to some r-code file, as with other attributesin RCODE-INFO, the DISPLAY-TYPE attribute returns the unknown value.
    Note: it goes without saying that this onlyapplies to 11.X r-code, as a 11.X client can only read 11.X r-code.

DISPLAY-TYPE on SESSION system handle

Note that we already have a DISPLAY-TYPEattribute on the SESSION system handle that allows the developer to get thedisplay environment of the running session (it returns either “GUI” or “TTY”).The attribute is also a read-only attribute in the case of SESSION. We will just need to expand the documentation for DISPLAY-TYPE to include that it applies to RCODE-INFO and the behavior when applied to RCODE-INFO vs. SESSION.

Evan Bleicher

Sr. Development Manager

Progress Software

• Thank you Evan!