You can only use .NET objects from the GUI client or from the WebClient executable on Windows. (14693) - Forum - OpenEdge Development - Progress Community

You can only use .NET objects from the GUI client or from the WebClient executable on Windows. (14693)

Forum

You can only use .NET objects from the GUI client or from the WebClient executable on Windows. (14693)

• The infragistis.excel can be used to create a workbook without any ui interaction. It is much faster to create a workbook on the server and return back to the client the binary file if needed.

Crystal reports is another example where we can create a pdf on the server and return the binarybfile to the client.

• I guess I am surprised that an Excel spreadsheet .xls or .xlsx file would be smaller than the data it contains.  Sure, I can see doing all of the sort and select of the data on the server, but building the actual spreadsheet seems ... to me anyway ... like it would only make sense if the initiator was not the consumer.

Haven't people been doing Crystal for years without GUI for .NET?

Mind, I am on your side about thinking there are good server side uses ... except for the part about using a Windows server, of course!

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• She was going to do some homework and get back to me.

I'm curious. Hopefully Progress will post the whole story to the public.

• I guess I am surprised that an Excel spreadsheet .xls or .xlsx file would be smaller than the data it contains. 

That may or may not be the case and actually it might really depend a lot on the file format being transmitted over the wire. But then think about a WebSpeed process with a Web Browser as a client. You need to generate a document on the server.

Haven't people been doing Crystal for years without GUI for .NET?

It's not only about being possible to do so. It's also about HOW it's possible. The .NET integration into the language if by far superior to any external interface we've ever had in the language:

- no limitations or complicated issues with struct or array parameters

- access to enums

- strong typing and compile time validation

- garbage collection

and then think about the fact, that for a large part of the rest of the world .NET is simply available and many 3rd party vendors may stop supporting non .NET versions of their tools at some point. Well, I'm also aware that a large number of .NET Interfaces today are still only using COM-Interop (EA, Excel, Outlook, ...) but still that will probably change at some point as well and we still leverage the language benefits and GC when using a COM-Interop .NET interface.

And as Roger mentioned in a side note. It's not just about Excel and Crystal. The whole windows API can easily be accessed from .NET - I just rarely use external DLL procedures anymore. And the whole file handling is lovely in .NET. I'm just glad I haven't had to use INPUT FROM OS-DIR on the client for a while (System.IO.Directory is much simpler and appears much faster).

except for the part about using a Windows server, of course!

Since there were the 2003 versions of the servers my experience is that they have gotten much more accepted than before.

• Roger Blanchard

Osprey Retail Systems, Inc.

404 County St.

New Bedford, MA 02740

Phone: (508) 992-1097

Fax: (508) 992-2716

• Good points ... but I would still prefer not to be tied to Windows for the server, even if it is possible to make it work acceptably.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• These day's I take any sort of agreement from your end as a

compliment

• Whether or not I say so or it is apparent in my posts, I always think of you in complimentary terms.  One might say it means that you are good enough to be worth arguing with.

Back when I was a grad student, my dissertation advisor was notorious for the way he marked up papers ... scared many of the students.  If the paper was really good, it would come back absolutely covered in red ink.  Some of this red ink was making corrections and suggestions on how to make the paper better yet ... it didn't hurt that he was a quite literate gentlement.  But, some of the red ink would turn out to be compliments or ideas in the the flavor of "this reminds me of .... you might want to check that out".  I.e., bottom line, he was treating one as a junior colleague and he was helping you to prepare a paper for publication.  On the other hand, if it thought the paper was not very good, it might come back with a single note at the top saying something like "You can do better than this".  That was really devestating ... not that it ever happened to me!

• I just spoke with my rep who spoke with Shelley and basically it is not supported on the Appserver today. It is something they are thinking about for the future...maybe in V11.

• Yes, but we knew that ... what they haven't told us is why.

• All my rep told me is that is what an architectual design and that the clrbridge was not part of the Appserver. Maybe a Progress rep could chime in on this?