Evaluation Kit & Tour - Forum - OpenEdge Deployment - Progress Community
 Forum

Evaluation Kit & Tour

• let's talk about that, how would such a roadmap look like? Can you give me an example, maybe point me to a site that looks like that?

• I don't know that I know an example, but I also don't think it is very complicated. Think in terms of a series of bulleted items in the logical order that you might expect people to look at them if they were new to Progress. Perhaps there are nested bullets for the videos one per piece. Each "bullet" has a keyword associated with it to catch the eye like "Watch" and "Try". For each bullet there is a short desciption and a set of links. The links are Read More, Download Now, Requirements. The description includes a mention of how long it should take. The Download Now says how big it is. The Read More link goes to a page with more info which probably includes the requirements.

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• yep, we're thinking along the same lines.

Any additional ideas or samples, let me know...

• And a development license for Java (Eclipse, vi, or emacs) is free. So is Microsoft's

Visual Studio Express.

Neither have a 60 day time limit.

Assuming this isn't a good cop bad cop routine or something else.

Just this little thing could make alot of peoples life so much eaiser and change their attitude towards this company.

Message was edited by:

Alon Blich

• How about a fully-functional Provision, that only works with "demo" stand-alone db's, not with stock PSC db's?

This way people could put the code through it's paces in a stand-alone environment, and when they want to go multi-user or use standard PSC db's, they could purchase the 'real' product.

• What would distinguish a "demo" DB?

Consulting in Model-Based Development, Transformation, and Object-Oriented Best Practice  http://www.cintegrity.com

• And a development license for Java (Eclipse, vi, or

emacs) is free. So is Microsoft's

Visual Studio Express.

Neither have a 60 day time limit.

Assuming this isn't a good cop bad cop routine or

something else.

Gus is always the good cop

And, if I gave you the impression that I think that the 60 days evaluations is the answer to everything I did a poor job. The Evaluation Kit has a specific purpose but if you now want to start evaluating and learning OE 10 (and don't have a license you can upgrade or PSDN subscription), we do have the Evaluation Kit.

Just this little thing could make alot of peoples

life so much eaiser and change their attitude towards

this company.

point taken

Message was edited by:

Alon Blich

• I have to say that you and the talks I've had with some of the guys in Progress or that have worked in Progress have been very refreshing, professional and encouraging.

But for one you've got a trigger happy forum admin that really puts off someone from participating, helping etc. I've found that the people who are most out spoken are usually the ones who are the most, invested, passionate and knowledgeable and have to most offer, and I have always found that forums who aren't controlled (especially about what opinions they'd like and what opinions they wouldn't ?!) are much better, unless they start getting violent, and even then, things just have a way of working themselves out and again they usually involve the people who are the most passionate and invested.

Although not everyone agrees, I think that we have alot to offer and if the company wouldn't fight against us and treat us like freeloaders we would be the ones pushing it to our universities (we could certainly take care of all o/s, networking, database etc. setup maybe even better then tech support), use it for projects, participate in forums and the community, and to our clients over other languages (like I said, a few thousand bucks have never really been a problem to any clients I've worked for). Just give us a chance.

• Alon,

Your recent posts were deleted because they did not comply with PSDN standards. As per my previous email, it is my job is to ensure that the PSDN forums provide a constructive collaborative environment that encourages all members of the Progress community to interact and share their knowledge and experiences in a positive and encouraging way.

We value everyone's opinion including yours. And we are always willing to accept constructive criticism. But we request that everyone express their opinions and criticisms in a professional way. Posts that do not comply with these PSDN standards will be deleted. If you feel you've been censored, you are welcome to repost your thoughts but in accordance with PSDN standards.

I encourage you to continue to provide constructive feedback via the PSDN forums. We are listening and we want to help the community.

Regards,

Phillip Magnay

• OK, sometimes it's easy to forget that you're talking about real people and not a big faceless corporation.

IMVHO even if this is a very professional type forum, a single maybe private warning would be more appropriate and would work better.

It was nice talking to you, bye for now

Message was edited by:

Alon Blich