web screens wysiwyg editor with xml or json repository - Forum - Mobile - Progress Community

web screens wysiwyg editor with xml or json repository

Forum

web screens wysiwyg editor with xml or json repository

This question is not answered

Frameworks like dwp store the ui in the db and can build webpages from that info. I'd like to have a wysiwyg editor for web screens that maintain ui definitions in a json or xml format, not dependent on progress and preferably open source.

Anyone seen such an editor / using it?

All Replies
  • Hi Bill,

On 1.  Do you see a relevance for dominant formats?

2.  It would be handy to be able to assign more properties than just position width height to a 'widget', classes would

be on the wishlist (these could be picked up by the stylesheet). Some others would be: tether bolts for events,  

tabindex, and for example not a label as this can be multi-language

3. I see Json as a good format for the designer to persist the ui on the client for the reasons already named. I prefer a

designer that is usable without a backend (offline) and it should be ignorant of backendtypes. It would be handy to

be able to bind temptablefields (eh, catalog-things) to widgets (see wishlist for extra properties above).

On the backend the json can be persisted in a blob field (database). The relational model could be in-memory as a  

dataset representation of the named blob fields. From that representation in memory a new json can quickly be

dynamicly  constructed if needed. Besides there could be good reasons to persist the data in a relational model in

the db.

I'm a bit jealous Bill, are you going to build this yourself now? Hire me, I have to build it myself anyway. :-)

• There is an *much* better alternative for storing ui definitions in json in a blob type field in the database. It is the json (and preferably jsonb) datatype.

About the json datatype (why what how):

functionwhatwhat.com/json-in-postgresql

www.postgresql.org/.../datatype-json.html

new in postgres 9.5, see jsonb : wiki.postgresql.org/.../What&

I asked for it before, in a massively voted (not of course) idea f.e. here community.progress.com/.../next_gen_database.aspx

Thoughts?

• extjs guidesigner 2.1.0 has layouts btw. To see them download 2.1.0 (see the link in a prev message) and open index.html in firefox.

• WireframeSketcher (marketplace.eclipse.org/.../wireframesketcher-wireframing-tool) is using an uml/ecore model behind, much like our ERD tool (ganimede.ro/.../zamolxis-erd-psdoe-integration)... that can work very well with 'abstract UI components' and have generators translating the mockups to different component frameworks.

• Another one for in your dark room discussions (grrr! it's like throwing ideas in a black hole: not very rewarding): korynunn.wordpress.com/.../deploying-a-web-app-in-14-days-no-html

The idea of loading ui definitions in json format leads to the thought that only one, basic/very small .html is needed.

"a few big advantages:

• Only one HTML page is ever sent, once, and it’s tiny (2KB uncompressed)
    • Developers write code, not an XML derivative.
    • Application pages are cached indefinitely, and are tiny (17 KB uncompressed and unminified for a feature rich page)
    • The server only serves data, reducing load.
    • Page-weight is microscopic. (<0.5 MB per page for everything, including all images, css, and data)
    • Pages render stupid-fast (~1s for a complicated, data-bound page)."
  • Some more things to think about:

rauchg.com/.../7-principles-of-rich-web-applications