Case statement error 3583 HELP - Forum - Community Groups - Progress Community

Case statement error 3583 HELP

Forum

Case statement error 3583 HELP

• HELP!  I have never used a case statement before and a unable to get progress 9.1d to run my statement, even in using an example I have in a book.

I am sure that I am just missing something obvious, can anyone tell me why this does not work?

def var x as integer.

x = random(0,5).
    display x.

case x :
        when 1 then message "one" view-as alert-box info.
        otherwise message "???" view-as alert-box info.

end case.

• The code works fine for me (10.1C).

What is the message prior to (or just after) the 3583, as 3583 is a very generic message?

• Unfortunately I did not get any other message.  I am going to assume that CASE does not work in my current version of 9.1D.  I used ELSEIF without a problem, CASE just seemed slightly easier.

• IIRC the CASE statement has been supported since Version 7.

I suspect there is a missing period (.) in a statement just above the CASE statement that is causing compiler to spew out erroneous error messages..

• Try pasting the code I have above, that would not even work for me.

• I did copy/paste the code and it works fine.

Try commenting (or completely removing) the CASE block of code and see if the compiler still complains.

• Commenting out the CASE block worked fine, but when I uncomment it i get that error.

• Can you paste the statements that come before and after the CASE block?

• While it is true that 9.1D is ancient, obsolete and unsupported the CASE statement works fine in 9.1D.

I tried your example verbatim with 9.1D and it worked without any error or objection.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• The code I pasted is all i tried to run.  I was trying to troubleshoot why my program got the same error, but as the error occurs with just this simple code block, I am either doing something wrong, or I have something wrong with my version of progress.

• I just copied it and pasted into the 9.1D07 editor.  It runs fine.

What service pack of 9.1D are you running?  On what platform?

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com

• I'm running on SCO UNIX.  I don't see a service pack in the information area.  Is there an easy way to find out what Service Pack is installed?

• In the $DLC directory, there is a file called 'version' - that will contain the information about SP level.

• /home/dlc >more version
    PROGRESS Version 9.1D as of Wed May  8 16:30:39 EDT 2002

• Unpatched 9.1D.

CASE should still work.

Just for kicks try changing the MESSAGE to a plain old MESSAGE -- get rid of the "view-as alert-box info" and see if that helps.

--
    Tom Bascom
    tom@wss.com