Updated proparse.net Assemblies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 04:27

Hi all,

I have created and attached an updated version of the proparse.net assemblies. These assemblies do support the BLOCK-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW. directive of OpenEdge 11.3.

I am providing these assemblies without any warranties of any kind!

The assemblies.xml needs the following entries:

<assembly name="IKVM.OpenJDK.Core, Version=7.2.4630.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=13235d27fcbfff58"/>
<assembly name="IKVM.Runtime, Version=7.2.4630.5, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=13235d27fcbfff58"/>
<assembly name="proparse.net, Version=4.0.1.1110, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cda1b098b1034b24"/>

More info on proparse can be found at:

http://www.oehive.org/proparse

http://www.joanju.com/proparse/

Has anybody else done some work already to update proparse.net to latest language features?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 09:06

What about the rest of 11.x syntax?   Seems like a big job ... especially with Gilles tool coming one of these days.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 09:11

What is missing? Most new features are classes that do not cause a problem?

Von meinem Windows Phone gesendet

Von: Thomas Mercer-Hursh
Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 16:06
An: TU.OE.Development@community.progress.com
Betreff: RE: Updated proparse.net Assemblies

Reply by Thomas Mercer-Hursh

What about the rest of 11.x syntax?   Seems like a big job ... especially with Gilles tool coming one of these days.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 09:56

Why does it not cause a problem.  If proparse is going to choke on anything post 10.2, it seems that is a real obstacle.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 10:00

Do you have samples? Or just unspecific fear? I am using proparse with many new 11 keywords since very long. To my knowledge, John added keywords up to 11.1

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 16:56

Why does it not cause a problem.  If proparse is going to choke on anything post 10.2, it seems that is a real obstacle.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 10:16

I haven't tried it since John told me he had done nothing with 11, at least that is my memory.  Even if he had added 11.1, it is still a time bomb.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 10:53

It's open source, so DIY ;-)

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 17:17

I haven't tried it since John told me he had done nothing with 11, at least that is my memory.  Even if he had added 11.1, it is still a time bomb.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 11:01

I considered it, but John indicated it was a big undertaking.  Were it not for Gilles work, I would be fervently hoping that someone would take over, but at this point I am hoping that we can piggyback on Gilles work for a more permanent solution.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 11:09

The block-level stuff was actually a simple copy of routine level and frankly, I believe the most relevant one. I am expecting surprises on things like the tenant-where. But I hope that when I need that I can copy from things like the query-tuning stuff.

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 18:01

I considered it, but John indicated it was a big undertaking.  Were it not for Gilles work, I would be fervently hoping that someone would take over, but at this point I am hoping that we can piggyback on Gilles work for a more permanent solution.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 11:20

My issue is that I want it to build tools for others.  If I was only interested in my own code, I could probably manage to make the additions necessary, but if I want people in general to be able to use it, then the whole thing needs to be reliably there.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 11:42

http://www.antlr3.org/

Can't be rocket science for a guy like you.

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 18:20

My issue is that I want it to build tools for others.  If I was only interested in my own code, I could probably manage to make the additions necessary, but if I want people in general to be able to use it, then the whole thing needs to be reliably there.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 12:03

Writing in a 3GL is very painful to me at this point.  Heck, except for my current tool building, I'm working at the model level these days, not even in ABL.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 12:45

So I've got good news for you. All you need to do is editing the grammar files, which is more like a model. No Java coding required at all.

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 19:04

Writing in a 3GL is very painful to me at this point.  Heck, except for my current tool building, I'm working at the model level these days, not even in ABL.

Posted by Marian Edu on 25-Apr-2014 12:50

you got to be kidding, Terence does all the dirty work so all you have
to do is to use the DSL... as Mike said it's just a grammar file, beside
Gus once said they can provide the language BNF and given your
connections you should be able to get full language support in no time :)

On 04/25/2014 08:04 PM, Thomas Mercer-Hursh wrote:
>[collapse] From: Thomas Mercer-Hursh
> Post: RE: Updated proparse.net Assemblies
> Posted in: OpenEdge Development
> Link: http://community.progress.com/technicalusers/f/19/p/9758/37059.aspx#37059
>
> Writing in a 3GL is very painful to me at this point. Heck, except for my current tool building, I'm working at the model level these days, not even in ABL.
>
>
> --
> You were sent this email because you opted to receive email notifications when someone created a new thread.
>
> To unsubscribe[collapse] from:
> - ...only this thread, disable notifications at http://community.progress.com/technicalusers/f/19/p/9758/37059.aspx#37059.
> - ...all email notifications from Progress Community, navigate to "Settings", click on the "Email" tab, then under the "Email Configuration" section, set Send Notifications to "No".
>
>

--
m.edu
keep it simple
http://www.ganimede.ro
http://ro.linkedin.com/in/marianedu
medu@ganimede.ro
mobile: +40 740 036 212

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 13:00

At this point, I think that Gilles work has the most promise and in the short run I have my hands full with the parts I already have so I'll wait and see how that turns out.  If it doesn't, then maybe I will take more of a look.  I did ask John how difficult it would be for someone else to do it and he wasn't encouraging.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 25-Apr-2014 13:05

Before putting top much hope in Gilles work, you should discuss with him first what he is building. To my understanding his tool is for code QA, which is a different use case from parsing code and building a model.

Gesendet: ‎25.‎04.‎2014 20:01

At this point, I think that Gilles work has the most promise and in the short run I have my hands full with the parts I already have so I'll wait and see how that turns out.  If it doesn't, then maybe I will take more of a look.  I did ask John how difficult it would be for someone else to do it and he wasn't encouraging.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2014 13:08

I know pretty well the focus of his work and I am expecting to have to do some of what I want on my own, but I see an on-going solution there, as well as potential synergy, so it is well worth exploring further when he gets to release level.

This thread is closed