Optimize your Hot-Hot Cluster Configuratio - Wiki - Technology Partner - Progress Community

Optimize your Hot-Hot Cluster Configuratio

Optimize your Hot-Hot Cluster Configuratio

Overview

The following diagram shows a hot-hot cluster configuration:

hot-hot.JPG

Since the hot-hot cluster configuration may result in two active brokers operating on a single server, you need to configure your server for increased usage in the following areas: memory, CPU, disk, and network.

Recommendation

To ensure optimal performance of your hot-hot cluster configuration, Sonic recommends that you take the following factors into consideration:

Resource Considerations
Memory

Calculate upper heap size for both brokers. Make sure that it is using no more than 60% of the total memory on the machine, allowing additional memory for the OS and other activities.

It is important to note that the backup broker requires 2 to 3 times more memory than the primary broker. Therefore, when calculating the memory requirements, it is essential to take the extra memory requirements into consideration. Furthermore, if the primary should failover to become the backup and the backup should become the primary for a period of time, then the extra memory requirement is needed for the initial setting of the primary broker.

CPU

It is important to engineer the application for no more than 40% of the CPU load. This is important because if both go active, the box should be running at about 80% recommended maximum, leaving 20% for the OS and other activities on the machine.

Disk

Use separate disk controllers. See the related documents for more information.

Network

Use separate network paths for the replication channels. See the related documents for more information.

Ê

Brought to you by Progress Professional Services

Comments
  • Why does the backup Broker require 2-3 times more memory than the primary?