Missing DLL - Upgrading Sitefinity - Upgrading Sitefinity - Progress Community
 Upgrading Sitefinity

Missing DLL

• Missing DLL
  • I might be missing something here, but for step 1 of the Migration of 3.7 to 4.2 it states:

1. Copy MigrationService.svc to the root of the web site
    2. Copy Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.dll and Telerik.Sitefinity.MigrationContracts.dll to the /bin folder of the web site

I downloaded the latest release of 4.2 today, created my new 4.2 project and do not have the Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration.dll in the project's bin folder.

Also, the service is called Migration.svc and not MigrationService.svc, correct?
  • Juan,

It appears the files references by the instructions are located in a zip file Module3.7_SP4_NET40.zip that should be in the root folder of your website project. It should contain everything you need to get started.

I'll be sure to let the team know to update the instructions with this information. I also look forward to your feedback on your experience with migration, please do report back your thoughts.

Hope this is helpful,
    josh
  • Thanks Josh. I saw that .zip file but had no idea it contained the needed files for the migration tool.

I will continue to post my experience with the migration and try to provide as much feedback as possible.
  • Hello Josh,

I did the Installation of Migration for 3.7. step by step but I got followin error when I called my website <website>/MigrationService.svc:
    "System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Sitefinity.Migration' or one of its dependencies. This assembly is built by a runtime newer than the currently loaded runtime and cannot be loaded."

What's the Problem here? Can you please help me?

Thank You,
    Gabriele
  • Hey Gabriele,

I updated the runtime version of the Visual Studio website to 4.0, which solved the error you are getting.

However, this in turn caused an issue with the MigrationService.svc:

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Cms.Engine, Version=3.7.2136.240, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=dfeaee0e3978ac79' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

Josh - Could you help work through this issue? The version of my Sitefinity 3.7 website is Sitefinity 3.7.2057.2:1, do I need to add an SP to my installation for this upgrade to work?
  • this is correct, the current Migration tool only supports importing data from Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 (Standard Edition). If necessary, please review the instructions for updating Sitefinity 3.7 to the latest service pack

I'm sorry this wasn't more clear, I will be including this information in the Migration Guide I am developing, and I appreciate all of your feedback.

I hope this was helpful
    Josh
  • Thanks Josh. I will upgrade this project to SP4 and continue to check in with my progress.
  • Hello,

my 3.7-Website is on the newest Version - do I really have to make it .NET 4.0?
    Please let me know how I should go on with Migration.

Thanks, Gabriele
  • Hi Prosaldo,

We will provide .NET3.5 assemblies as well, with our next internal release. Until then, .NET4.0 is the only framework you can use with the 3.x part. 

Best wishes,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

• Hey Georgi,

Do you possibly have a rough time-frame that the .NET3.5 assemblies will be released?
  • Hi Juan Sola,

We won't be able to do it this week, but we can probably go for the next one. 
    I hope this time frame will be suitable for you.

Regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

• Hello Sitefinity-Team,

any news on this thread? Do you have already a release date for the 3.5-assemblies-version?

Thanks, Gabriele
  • The latest internal build (4.2.1679) includes a the binaries to import from both asp.net 4.0 and asp.net 3.5 websites running Sitefinity 3.7 SP4.

The internal build should now be available for download in your Sitefinity account
  • 297854_sitefinity-version.JPG
    Hello,

in my account the version is not available yet - please see screenshot!

Thanks, Gabriele