SEO fields for news and blog items - Ideas & Feature Requests - Ideas & Feature Requests - Progress Community
 Ideas & Feature Requests

SEO fields for news and blog items

• SEO fields for news and blog items
  • I was really surprised that news and blog items don't have meta description and keyword fields.

Even worse is that SF uses the URL to populate the title tag for these items.  Search engines aren’t going to include a URL as a page title on their results page, and I don’t think they can manufacture page titles as they do descriptions if meta description not populated.

We need a meta keyword, meta description, and especially a title field for news and blog items ASAP.  I'm probably going to lose most or all of the SEO benefit of the many news and blog items that I'm migrating from my current site to SF.

Not happy.

• Hello Eric,

Thank you for contacting Telerik support.

We have logged your request. I hope that we will be able to do it soon.

Kind regards,
    Antoaneta
    the Telerik team
  • Antoaneta, thanks for your reply.

Will this be included in the April release or any previous service packs?  This really needs to be addressed as quickly as possible.  It would really be frustrating to lose search engine traffic for something as basic as this.
  • Hi Eric,

This feature is planned for Q2, which means that it will be available not earlier than August 2011.

Best wishes,
    Antoaneta
    the Telerik team
  • Antoaneta, thanks for the further info, but I'm a little confused about the timeline.  Why wouldn't a Q2 feature come out April-June?
  • Hello Eric,

Thank you for noticing that, actually Q2 will be in the end of July 2011, not  in August.

Regards,
    Antoaneta
    the Telerik team
  • Antoaneta, thanks.  I look forward to seeing this in the Q2 release.  Again, this really need to be fixed as soon as possible.
  • Didn't see this listed specifically in Q2 roadmap.  Is this fix still slated for Q2?
  • Hello Eric,

Your request has two parts:
    1) The title of the dynamic news page doesn't have a SEO friendly title meta tag.
    We are showing there the page name, while in fact we should show the title of the news item .
    This fix is planned for SP2 due towards the end of June.

2) There are no options to specify title, description and other meta information per news item.
    This request is logged for Q2. However, it is with lower priority as of now and its implementation is not 100% sure. This is why we didn't commit it publicly. 
    Most of our customers are relying on the title and content of the news to boost SEO. Meta description is rarely used. To test this assumption I am logging this request to our PITs system on this link 5842. Based on the popularity among the community we may raise the priority of this task. 

I hope that answered your question,

All the best,
    Kalina
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Kalina, thanks for update.  Yes, meta description would be good to have but not critical; title is critical.  I'll look out for the changes in SP2 and Q2 release.
  • Hello,

Just wondering if this is available? I have tried to figure out the solution in Sitefinity 4.3 but am not seeing it.  I really need the description meta tags so I can populate the "Share This" social sharing buttons when sharing news items.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Hi,

We have SF 5.1 and we still do not have the description meta tag for our News and Blog pages.

With a category widget and a news widget on a page, we have duplicate meta description on all news item

Do you have a workaround for that ?

Thanks

Eric

• Hi Eric,

Thank you for using our services.

The feature is currently in the process of implementation and should be available for our upcoming Sitefinity 5.4 release.

In the meantime you can easily create a workaround by inheriting from the desired content type's DetailsView, and set the desired meta tags using the values populated in a custom field, for example:

using System;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;
    using SitefinityWebApp.CustomPipePackage.Custom.PublishingSystem.AggregatedBlogsSeoPipe;
    using Telerik.OpenAccess;
    using Telerik.Sitefinity.Blogs.Model;
    using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
    using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Blogs.Web.UI;
    using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Blogs.Web.UI.Public;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.CustomWidgets.BlogPosts
        public class MasterPostViewSeoCanonical : DetailPostView

private void AddMetaKeywordsMarkup(BlogPost item)

try

if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(item.GetValue<String>("MetaDescription")))

HtmlMeta metaDescr = new HtmlMeta();
                        metaDescr.Name = "Keywords";
                        metaDescr.Content = item.GetValue<String>("MetaDescription");
                        this.Page.Header.Controls.Add(metaDescr);

catch (Exception )

protected override void InitializeControls(Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.GenericContainer container, Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI.Contracts.IContentViewDefinition definition)

base.InitializeControls(container, definition);
                var viewCtrl = (BlogPostView)this.Host;
                var item = viewCtrl.DetailItem as BlogPost;
               AddMetaKeywordsMarkup(item);

where MetaDescription is the name of a custom field we've added to blog posts. You can use the custom view by going to Administration->Settings->Advanced -> Blogs-> Controls->BlogsPostsFrontend->Views->DetailBlogPostsFrontend and change the ViewType to the type of your custom view.

Kind regards,
    Boyan Barnev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • It doesn't seem to have made its way into 5.4 - will it be in 6.0?