RadEditor has issues when I... - General Discussions - General Discussions - Progress Community
 General Discussions

RadEditor has issues when I...

• RadEditor has issues when I...
  • It should not be necessary to use the HTML mode in RadEditor.  

This was my theme in a recent blog post.  In fact, I even expressed that I would like to see this feature entirely disabled in RadEditor.  (Don't worry, I'm not on the product team and these decisions aren't left to me.   :)  

In reply to this blog post, several Sitefinity customers expressed that HTML mode is sometimes needed to compensate for RadEditor behavior.  To address this, I wanted to gather examples of situations that cause RadEditor to produce unexpected HTML or quirky behavior.  

Here are some guidelines for this thread:

1.   Use the Sitefinity 4.0 CTP - (many old issues have already been addressed)
    2.   Tell us what browser and operating system you’re using
    3.   Describe the steps needed to reproduce the behavior
    4.   Tell us what behavior you expected.
    5.   Tell us what behavior you saw.

--

Here is an example issue that I found with the Sitefinity 4.0 CTP

Browser: Chrome 4.1.249.1064 (45376)

1.  Type “Paragraph 1” and press enter
    2.  Click the Bullet List button
    3.  Type "Item 1" and press enter
    4.  Type "Item 2" and press enter
    5.  Type "Item 3" and press enter
    6.  Press enter on an empty line (end bullet list)
    7.  Type "Paragraph 2" and press enter

What I expected:

The following HTML:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>
    <ul>
        <li>Item 1</li>
        <li>Item 2</li>
        <li>Item 3</li>
    </ul>
    <p>Paragraph 2</p>

What I received:

The following HTML:

<p>Paragraph 1</p>
    <p>
    <ul>
        <li>Item 1</li>
        <li>Item 2</li>
        <li>Item 3</li>
    </ul>
    <div>Paragraph 2</div>
    </p>

Your input on this can help us improve Sitefinity and RadEditor.  Thanks everyone!

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS
  • 1) Because of the editor issues with paragraphs I always style the backend with this
    p
        border:1px dotted #666666;
        margin-bottom:6px;
        min-height:26px;
    ...shows me where the stupid buggers are hiding

2) Heres the html markup (firefox 3.6)
    <h2>test header</h2>
    <p></p>

So click back to design, click inside the <p> and type something....<p> disappears...but visually only after you click out of it

3) SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING IN HTML MODE! :)

4) I would like the editor to start me with a default <p> tag, sucks having to write something, hit enter to get one generated, then backspace to delete that one. (does this exist as a filter or something?).  I assume this is built in somewhere...I could probably add it in the code behind on Load, but I don't want to have to do that everytime.

5) An empty <p></p> seems to be a pain in the ass all the time to select or get stuff into
  • @Steve

Number 4 is what is anoing to me the most. I often have two content areas

1) Title
    2) Content

I style the Title so the end-user can just enter text and does not to set headings and stuff

Then the content is styled differently. When there is no paragraph in the first line content is to close to title and I have to go back. Cursor front of line, enter, backspace to get a <p> around it.

Regards Markus
  • Radeditor has issues when I...use it on an iPad

...for comment boxes, obviously not rich text editing. 

I realize it's a shortcoming on iPad safari itself, but it means that if I want my site accessible from an iPhone\iPad I need to code that in everytime, everywhere.  SO, perhaps, since it's a repetitive task, I wonder if telerik could accommodate that scenario :)

• Hi Steve,

Our colleagues from the RadControls team have taken care of such issues. Please check the following KB article - http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/aspnet-ajax/editor/support-for-iphone-browser.aspx

Let us know if you need any further information. 

Sincerely yours,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
  • Oops...

It seems there was a problem with our server.

Try reloading the page.

Can't seem to get there

Also, whatever the fix was\is it hasn't been applied to these forums...so I can't post anywhere
  • Hello Steve,

Please check with this URL - http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/aspnet-ajax/editor/support-for-iphone-ipad-browser.aspx
    It seems I have copied it in a wrong way this morning. Apologies for that. 

Sincerely yours,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
  • The editor guys have added it to PITS
  • Nested tags are the biggest issue. For example you might start out entering some text and format it as a "heading 1." When you hit enter to start creating the body of the page the <h1> formatting is still applied. There are a number of other situations where the editor improperly nests tags. As far as I know, this is still an issue even with the most recent version of RADEditor.

Typically the problem is then compounded as the business user applies different formatting to the improperly styled content in an attempt to get it formatted the way they want. Perhaps this is more of an issue with the out of the box implementation of the stand alone RADEditor control then the version in Sitefinity, as there are more formatting options in the former.

This next one is not an issue as much as a need for the HTML view: inserting inline Javascript. There are plenty of times I need to insert inline Javascript to call a function that is contained in an external Javascript file. Perhaps this could be done through customizing the editor or through a user control, but that does not seem nearly as flexible as just entering a quick script.

Another issue is adding a line break <br /> vs a paragraph <p>. I believe the default enter key action can be configured to either, but typically a paragraph is inserted when hitting the enter key and a key combination of shift + enter will insert a line break. This is not so much an HTML view issue, but it can be frustrating for a business user to figure out or remember.

• I'll second the nesting, I get that from my admins as well...

I can't think of many cases in which I'd want to have a heading carried over to a new line...
  • I was just complaining to my IT manager about these kinds of issues in Sitefinity.

Why does my content look one way inside the Generic Content editor, but ends up formatted differently when "I'm done"?

I've been pulling my hair out on a nested pair of lists.  I have an ordered list with an unordered list inside.  Inside the Generic Content editor, I see exactly what I expect:

1. <text>
      • <text> 
      • <text> 
      • <text> 

2. <text>

After I hit "I'm done", I the bullets become numbers with arrows next to them, and the line breaks and white line disappear.  In fact, I wouldn't insert the white horizontal line if a line break would do the job, but even within the editor the line breaks are removed after I enter them.

• Hello Jaycen,

Most probably you have some styles that comes from your theme stylesheet or another css files loaded when you open this page and there are rules that alter your list.

Sincerely yours,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Sadly enough, that's exactly what I (technical support mgr) tried to carefully explain to my IT manager.  He couldn't understand.

The issue with the <br /> and <hr /> are still valid, I think.  When I enter those in the HTML editor and then switch back to the "Design" tab, those tidbits of HTML code shouldn't just "disappear".  When I switch back to the HTML editor, they're gone.
  • I'm still having issues with the RadEditor in Q2 2010

Had an H3 header, wanted a line after it, so I put my cursor at the end of the header and hit enter

It formatted the html something like this
    <p></p>
    <h3>header<p>
    //cursor was here
    </p>
    </h3>

I couldn't get out of the h3

Same deal if I put my cursor at the end of a link, doesn't understand that I want a new line and not to move to a new line wrapped in the tag....

It's hard when the only text in there is that header because you can't move to the line below it and hit enter to start a new paragraph