Include external websites in Sitefinity search indexes - General Discussions - General Discussions - Progress Community
 General Discussions

Include external websites in Sitefinity search indexes

• Include external websites in Sitefinity search indexes
  • Is there a way to accomplish this? The aim is to be able to include in a search index for a certain Sitefinity site pages from a website that is not in Sitefinity.

We're hoping to centralize our search results in the main Corporate site (which would be in Sitefinity 4.0) and that means we must find a way to "crawl" Sitefinity's search function into our other sites under the same brand which are obviously not managed by the CMS. Thanks for the help as always. :)
  • Hello jkregala,

Out of the box you cannot search external pages from Sitefinity. There is no base implementation for this. Possible solution would be creating a custom class that inherits from PagePipe and there you can override ConvertImportedItemForMapping where you can add your custom data as "Content"

protected override Dictionary<string, object> ConvertImportedItemForMapping(object item)

var result = base.ConvertImportedItemForMapping(item);

InMemoryPageRender render = new InMemoryPageRender();
               result.Add("Content", "your custom data here");

You can replace the default PagePipe with your custom one or just add your custom pipe inside Global.asax, Application_Start where you can use Bootstrapper.Initialized event

Bootstrapper.Initialized += new EventHandler<Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.ExecutedEventArgs>(this.AfterInit);

add your pipe

PipeFactory.RegisterPipeType("CustomPagePipe", typeof(CustomPagePipe));

remove pipe

PipeFactory.UnregisterPipe("PagePipe");

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Hello,

I have a Sitefinity 4.0 installation and I'm trying to create a custom search provider.
    I'm not looking to index another site, I just want to add some custom content to be indexed, while keeping the clasic index for all pages.

Adding custom search provider was pretty straight forward with SF 3.7 but with SF 4.0 and Pipes, even with the indications Ivan provided, I was not able to do it.

So far, I was able to change the indexed content for an already existing page using a PagePipe starting from the above post.

What I would like is to index some custom content that is not inside sitefinity pages/news/blogs (it is taken from an external database).
    How can I add custom content to be indexed and link to an external page? I also want to keep the index SF has for its own pages.

• Hi,

Generally the way that you will index the content from another database is the same. You have to return your content in the result as shown in the code above. I found issues related to creating custom pipes and I logged a bug with ID 385822 for this. The current status of the bug is - not done.

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • I appreciate the update.
    Is there a location where the bug is posted, is there a way for me to follow the progress?

Thank you.
  • Hi jkregala,

We do not have a section in PITS for Sitefinity from where you can track the status of the bug. I am adding the ID here for reference in case someone else has the same issue and request the status of the bug.

Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  • Has this issue been resolved?  I need to do something similar ....

Also, what do you mean by this, "your custom data here", is this a class, string, etc?  Do you have an example?
  • Hi Joseph ,

The issue with custom pipes has been resolved. We will have a sample how to create a custom pipe with Q1 release. We will include the sample in the SDK, Products sample module.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  • Hi Joseph,

Can you confirm if the samples for creating the custom pipes have been released with Sitefinity 4.1. If so can you please point me to where it is in the documentation as I tried to look for it and could not find it.

Thanks
  • Hello Imran,

We did not include the sample in the SDK, because we are going to change the pipes API this Q which might cause some issues with the custom pipes and basically you will have to rewrite them on the next upgrade. We decided to provide more elegant and easiest way to crawler custom data.

Regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • has anyone had any success creating a custom search index based off of a custom pipe thus far?
  • I've made a custom pipe. Will post it on the marketplace shortly for sale.
  • Hi,

Is there a sample available in documentation or on the market place?

Thanks
  • 278416_CustomPipe.zip
    Hello Ancuta Me,

I attached a  working sample that shows how to implement a custom pipe for Products sample module that comes with the SDK. You can extend it to fit your need.

Best wishes,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items