Registering Custom Provider

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 22:23

Registering Custom Provider

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Sep-2010 00:00

I am building a custom module that will use a custom provider that I have created. What is the recommended way to register the Provider with Sitefinity 4.0 ?

I can just edit the web.config, but, it seems there might be a better approach.

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi Joe Keller,

You can use sitefinity/Settings/Configurations and register the provider from there. There are sections like Blogs, Content,  Events etc wher you can add an additional provider. Let me know if there are further questions.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

That helps a little.

I can see how I can add additional providers to things that are all ready part of Sitefinity such as News, Events, Blogs, etc.

But, I am creating an entirely new Module not based on anything that currently exists in Sitefinity.

So, what I need to figure out is how to create a new node on the configurations menu, and then have a sub node called Providers, and then have the option to create a new provider, the same as the other built-in components do.

For more detail on what I am doing... 

I am creating a UserTracking module which has a tracking widget that I can place on a page. When the widget is loaded as part of the page processing, it uses a custom provider I created to write the page hit information to a datastore.

Currently I have created a File provider which will write the page hits out to a file on the filesystem, but, I would also like to offer a Sql provider to write the page hits to a database, and maybe others.

But, I want to make the process of installing this module as simple as possible, without requiring the person installing it to open the web.config and create the provider section in the .config file. Additionally, if they want to change providers I want it to be as easy and elegant as it is in the Sitefinity configuration menu to change out a provider for something like an Event or Blog.

Hi Joe Keller,

In this case you need a new configuration class. You can take a look at Creating New Configuration Classes

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

This thread is closed