The WebResource.axd handler must be registered in the config

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 19:10

The WebResource.axd handler must be registered in the configuration to process this request.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2011 00:00

I'm getting the following error when trying to run my site in Integrated mode;

[InvalidOperationException: The WebResource.axd handler must be registered in the configuration to process this request.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
    <system.web>
        <httpHandlers>
            <add path="WebResource.axd" verb="GET" type="System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader" validate="True" />
        </httpHandlers>
    </system.web>
</configuration>]
   System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader.GetWebResourceUrlInternal(Assembly assembly, String resourceName, Boolean htmlEncoded, Boolean forSubstitution, IScriptManager scriptManager) +2492029
   System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader.GetWebResourceUrl(Type type, String resourceName, Boolean htmlEncoded, IScriptManager scriptManager) +722
   System.Web.UI.ClientScriptManager.GetWebResourceUrl(Page owner, Type type, String resourceName, Boolean htmlEncoded, IScriptManager scriptManager) +167
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.RegisterResource(ResourceFile resource) +616
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ResourceLinks.CreateChildControls() +509
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496
I've been through the Sitefinity installation guide and IIS is configured as it should be. Tried modifying the web.config to include;
<system.web>
        <httpHandlers>
            <add path="WebResource.axd" verb="GET" type="System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader" validate="True" />
        </httpHandlers>
    </system.web>
as per the error message, with no success. I've noticed that there is already;
<add verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" validate="false" />
in system.web httphandlers Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Neil,

Can you try to register  in the web.config following the articles below

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

Thank you Ivan,

I tried those 2 links.  However the modifications that it suggests are already in the web.config, I did try pasting them over the existing code, just in case there were any minor variations, but I am still getting the same error message.

Hi Neil,

Are there issues if you run the project through Visual Studio web server, because this looks like an infrastructure issue if all handlers are in place.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Visual studio is not installed on the server.

I can install it to check though.  Will the Express version be adequate?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Neil,

Yes there should not be an issue.  Can't you run the project on a local machine?

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

It's a long story, but basically we have an external third party providing the web server.  And SiteFinity has been installed on there.  We have created sites successfully on our own internal development boxes, but in using theirs we are getting errors.  As the site is blank, I don't want to transfer 300mb+ across a relatively slow connection.

The primary difference is that we are running Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 7.5 and theirs is Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7.  I'm currently installing Visual Web Developer Express 2010 on their server, so I should know soon enough if it is an application or server error.

Ivan, 

I can confirm that the project runs fine through Visual Studio web server.  So I guess we are looking at an infrastructure issue on the server we are using.

Do you recommend using another server or attempting to troubleshoot the existing one?

Thanks,

Neil.

If you're on IIS7, then I BELIEVE it uses the <handlers> node, <httpHandlers> I believe is an IIS6 thing

Do you have this in <handlers> ?

<add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" />
            <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_DialogHandler_aspx" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" />

Yes, they are both in there.

<add name="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
    <add name="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler" path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.Upload.RadUploadProgressHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Files.FilesDownloadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibrariesRadUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.ThumbnailUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.AsyncImageUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.AsyncFileUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
    <add name="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
    <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource"/>
</handlers>

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jul-2011 00:00

Was there a resolution to this issue?  I'm having the same exact issue with a new hosting provider but the site/server appear to be set up correctly.  The application runs fine locally (Windows 7, IIS 7.5) but I get the WebResource.axd error after I deploy.  I'm using WinHost which uses Server 2008 and IIS 7. 

I did a bit of googling and found a hotfix from MS but it doesn't appear to pertain to .net 4...only previous versions. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505146

There was also mention that this error occurs when cold fusion is installed also. 

I'm not sure where the issue actually lies?  .Net framework, sitefinity, or my hosting provider.  I'm guessing the hosting provider but I don't know how to troubleshoot it with them. 

Ideas?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Shawn,

This is a server side issue. This happens if there are some specific settings applies by your host or some lines from the web.config are missing( check the troubleshooting links sent several posts above)

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jul-2011 00:00

I figured out what the issue was.  I believe it is actually a bug in the Sitefinity SDK. 

I was using the Charity Starter kit from the SDK. To get up and running I extracted the starter kit and began working locally using Cassini. It worked fine so I deployed my project to WinHost where it promptly blew up with the error above. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot it and numerous support emails with the provider. 

Finally, I decided to create a fresh project and compare the web.configs.  The fresh project worked fine.  Opening the web.configs, I noticed some considerable differences between the newly created project and the charity starter kit.  The SDK omitted a number of attributes in the handlers section of the web.config.  I've included the config differences below.

The biggest problem resulted from the wildcard mappings.  Everything after verb="*" was omitted upon starter kit extraction.

I verified the SDK bug by "resetting" the sample.  It omitted the handlers. 

<add name="WildCard" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />
      <add name="WildCard32" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />

Charity Starter Kit web.config handlers
<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" path="*.asmx" verb="*" />
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" path="*_AppService.axd" verb="*" />
      <add name="ScriptResource" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" path="ScriptResource.axd" verb="GET,HEAD" />
      <!--<add name="WebResource" type="System.Web.Handlers.AssemblyResourceLoader" path="WebResource.axd" verb="GET"/>-->
      <add name="WildCard" path="*" verb="*" />
      <add name="WildCard32" path="*" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_DialogHandler_aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2011.1.413.40" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler" type="Telerik.Web.UI.Upload.RadUploadProgressHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2011.1.413.40" path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Files.FilesDownloadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibrariesRadUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.ThumbnailUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.AsyncImageUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.AsyncFileUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity, Version=4.1.1395.0" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" />
      <add name="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2011.1.413.40" path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" verb="*" />

Working Project web.config handlers

<add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add name="ScriptResource" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
      <add name="WildCard" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />
      <add name="WildCard32" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />
      <add name="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.axd" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
      <add name="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler" path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Web.UI.Upload.RadUploadProgressHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.FilesDownloadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Files.FilesDownloadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.LibrariesRadUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.LibrariesRadUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.ThumbnailUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.ThumbnailUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncImageUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Libraries.Web.AsyncImageUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler" path="Telerik.Sitefinity.AsyncFileUploadHandler.ashx" verb="*" type="Telerik.Sitefinity.Workflow.AsyncFileUploadHandler, Telerik.Sitefinity"/>
      <add name="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler, Telerik.Web.UI"/>
      <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" verb="*" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" />
      <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_DialogHandler_aspx" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" />

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Shawn,

The Charity starter kit (all samples in the SDK for that matter) uses the same web.config as a blank Sitefinity project. All samples are optimized and tested while run from the SDK Browser (which uses Cassini as an embedded server). We support those scenarios out of the box, while moving any of the samples or project to a production environment should involve the necessary configuration changes.

To support the SDK samples, we need them to be as close to an empty project as possible, because there are less things that can go wrong. Just consider them as empty projects running on SqlExpress and Cassini. Any deployment related changes are user-specific and should not be there out of the box.

All the best,
Slavo
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2011 00:00

Slavo,

What you say makes sense, but I it would be nice to have better documentation on some of the more common installation scenarios for getting these SDKs installed.

I am having the same issue as the other people in this thread and it is a pain.  All I want to do is setup a demo site so that I can show this to a client.  Using Cassini is out of the question due to how horribly slow the site will run.  We have a development server that runs IIS7 where we install all our sites.  Now I know not everyone runs IIS7, but I think we can agree that it is a fairly common development scenario.

I have installed several sites now and across all versions of your 4+ product.  I would like to think I am getting good at this and it typically will take me maybe 10-15 minutes to get a vanilla install completed. These SDKs are obviously much more complicated and for that reason I would hope we can start seeing more documentation on how to accommodate those changes.  i.e. a list of changes developers should make to web.config for different hosting solutions and etc.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jul-2011 00:00

Shawn,

Thanks for your input.  I made similar changes, only had to switch to integratedMode, to the wildcard mappings and that seems to have taken care of the issue.

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Oct-2011 00:00

I was able to copy Shawn's working handlers and correct the problem. Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2013 00:00

We still get this error in SF6 with SDK. The above suggestions doesnt work either. Need som help here, please :)

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: The WebResource.axd handler must be registered in the configuration to process this request.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
   <system.web>
       <httpHandlers>
       </httpHandlers>
   </system.web>
</configuration>

Posted by Community Admin on 29-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

Try removing the following lines from the web.config:

Get back to us if this resolved the issue,please. 

Regards,
Atanas Valchev
Telerik
Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

This thread is closed