API Documentation for Sitefinity - Front- & Back-End Development - Front- & Back-End Development - Progress Community
 Front- & Back-End Development

API Documentation for Sitefinity

• API Documentation for Sitefinity
  • Hi All,

Just wondering if I'm missing anything when it comes to documentation for the API. At this moment (and there have been several now over the last few weeks), I'm looking for more information on a very specific piece of Sitefinity (HierarchicalTaxonFieldDefinitionElement), and am feeling that I'm missing big chunks of information / getting frustrated with lack of documentation.

I'm familiar with the Developer's guide, for example:

www.sitefinity.com/.../hierarchicaltaxonfield

And of course the forums. But I'm looking for a more thorough definition of the API with all methods and properties of a given class, similar to the .NET documentation on MSDN.

Does this exist?

Thanks

Jonathan
  • I have both the 5.0 and 5.1 SDKs, and neither of them have a Chm file... The 5.1 has a folder "Telerik\Sitefinity 5.1\SDK\Content\Documents\Pdf" with 4 PDFs, but that's all I see there.
  • I just downloaded and installed the 5.2 SDK, and it's not there either... What version of SDK are you 2 referring to?
  • I think that what you are after might be in the SDK.

Once downloaded and installed, browse your install folder for ...\SDK\Content\Documents\Chm\.

There is an install and remove bat file to make it available from VisualStudio.
  • There should be a "Telerik\Sitefinity 5.1\SDK\Content\Documents\Chm" folder, with about 6 files, including the 2 batch files mentioned.
  • FWIW: I currently have the 5.1 API installed, and it has the required \chm\ folder with the various documentation files.
  • Hi,

The version that contains the CHM file with the API documentation is the 5.0 version of the SDK.

What I would suggest is to uninstall all versions of the SDK and install the 5.0 version of the SDK - it should install the required files as well. You can then follow my colleague's instructions for installing the API reference:

www.sitefinity.com/.../how_to_view_the_sitefinity_api_reference_in_visual_studio_2010

Greetings,
    Victor Velev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • OMG, this is painful!

I'm now ready to get the magical version 5.0 of the SDK that comes with the (IMHO) absolutely necessary API reference, only to find that it's not available under my account under "Home / Your Products / Older Product Versions". I have access to 5.1 3270 at the earliest (I'm sure this is the first one I installed). Is the 5.0 SDK available anywhere else? Or at least the chm/bat files?

Please, Telerik, put the API reference online, with commenting (a la MSDN). In the meantime, though, I wants me some 5.0

Please and thanks

• 021273ad-9868-41e7-9e86-f43a211ec616_capture.png
    Sadly I do not (attached screenshot). Perhaps because I purchased my license when 5.1 was out, and you've had yours since 4.1? Also, I think you have your API documentation because you initially installed version 5.0 of the SDK and then upgraded?
  • The SDK is downloaded from Your Account -> Manage Products -> Free Products -> Sitefinity SDK

(I agree this is not exactly obvious)

The current version is the displayed default, but you can download earlier versions from the box on the RH Site.
  • Thank you for seeing this through, it's appreciated.

I click on the links as you suggest, and then on "All Product Versions" to get the older versions, but I end up with just the list as illustrated in my screenshot.

I'm thinking that, as mentioned above, it might be because of the date of my license or something (can only get products released after license date?). Though for free products that seems odd. I'm thinking I may need to contact my Telerik rep.
  • Hi everyone,

We decided to remove this API Reference from the SDK. One, because you'd have to install the whole SDK even if you only need the documentation and two, because it increased the download size of the SDK installer.

We will provide the API reference as a separate download in your accounts in the upcoming days. Thank you for the feedback.

Greetings,
    Slavo
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  • Hi everyone,

Just a quick follow-up: we wanted to inform you that we have just uploaded the API reference to , you should be able to find it in your client account under the Sitefinity SDK product version. For your convenience I'm pasting a direct link to the download  (please note this should be available once you are logged in).

Regards,
    Boyan Barnev
    the Telerik team
  • Slavo & Boyan,

Thank you very much for this. I've just finished downloading the API package.