import data from external database

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:50

import data from external database

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi,

I am looking to migrate my blog posts from another CMS in to Sitefinity. The CMS I currently use on is Orchard but I am migrating the site to Sitefinity. It's not a massive site but I would like to copy the blog entries over to SF rather than retype or copy/paste them. 

I've been looking at the inbound pipes and thought this might be the solution but I'm looking for some guidance on a) whether this is the best way to do it and b) if it isnt, what would be the best option?

The database is sitting on the same server as what my SF site will be on. 

Thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Jun-2014 00:00

Would really appreciate some guidance on this, 

Thanks,

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi Owain,

Implementing an inbound pipe is a good approach if you want to constantly import data between the two sources. However, it is a lot of work having in mind that you pointed out you do not have much data and as far as I understand you want to only migrate the data from the legacy site, not keep them both synced. It is important how you suppose to get the data from the not Sitefinity database, what points for getting the data will be used, services implemented etc. If you can use the API and just create and publish the items you want, I suppose this would be the easiest way.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2014 00:00

Thanks for the reply,

It would be just the once I want to do this, I simply want to connect to the legacy database, find the specific information and then map it to the Sitefinity DB as a new blog post.

I'll have a look through the API to see if I can find anything that may help, if anyone has any pointers to get me started it would be appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Owain,

You can find information and samples for creating and publishing blogs and blog posts in our documentation. Please, take a look at the following link. There are samples for creating and editing both blogs and posts, please review them and let us know if you need further information.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Owain,

if You are going to migrating the complete website, I'd recommend you to work with an expert or read the following guide provides by @Nikola Zagorchev.

Also before editing your post and pages you must take backup of your data and website. There are lots of people outside there you can find them through freelance desk or can contact with a sitefinity development agency with your requirement. I am sure they can help you understand the sitefinity better. 

Thanks,
Kuldeep,
Sitefinity Developer - IDS Logic

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi Kuldeep, 

Thanks for your reply. I am a developer but very new to developing with Sitefinity so looking for the best way to achieve what I am looking to do. I've been working with Sitefinity for about 2 years now but had to do very little development as I've had other team members to do that coding. 

This is more a personal project of mine and I want to develop my Sitefinity skills. Full backups will be taken, just in case :) 

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2015 00:00

Owain start with the small modules. You have to be work on Sitefinity platform regularly so that you are able to face future problem of application development.

You can post your error and problems regarding application development using Sitefinity.

Thanks

Natasha

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Apr-2015 00:00

Hello all,

Owain, feel free to post questions or issues regarding the forum thread topic here, so we and the community could help you achieve the desired result.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2015 00:00

Hi,

I have same kind of requirement in which I need to get data from external site and store it in sitefinity database. I have to take data from NASDAQ which is not RSS or ATOM. It provides feeds in IRXML. I have made custom inbound pipe and registered in module also by following  these setps:

In the main menu, click Administration » Settings » Advanced.
In the navigation tree on the left, click System » ApplicationModules.
To register the module, click Create New.
In the Name input field and in the Title input field, enter ​CustomFeeds.
In the Type field, enter SitefinityWebApp.Modules.​UserControls.CustomFeedsd.
To save your changes, click Save.​

Now I am expecting to see custom inbound pipe in sitefinity dashboard either in module or alternate publishing. Where I can give URL of NASDAQ feeds and assign inbound pipe. I am not finding that place where I need to do these kind of settings. Can you help me in that to achieve?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jul-2015 00:00

Hello Nikhil,

Please, check the resources bellow:
Import multilingual News from external RSS feed in Sitefinity
Import POP3 content: Create the feed
Create a custom inbound pipe

Hope you find them helpful.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jul-2015 00:00

Thanks Nikola for your reply.

It has not worked for me. I have already made Inbound Pipe. The problem I am facing is about registration and to see somewhere so that I can assign inbound pipe and so some sort of mapping. I expect it to be in Alternate Publishing but does not see it.

Suggest me to see it in effect.

Thanks

Nikhil

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jul-2015 00:00

Hello Nikhil,

Please, provide more information on the current implementation you have. Basically, you need only to unregister the default pipe and register your custom one over it. This is described in the first post I linked:

protected void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
    Bootstrapper.Initialized += OnBootstrapperInitialized;

protected static void OnBootstrapperInitialized(object sender, ExecutedEventArgs e)
    if (e.CommandName == "Bootstrapped")

PublishingSystemFactory.UnregisterPipe(RSSInboundPipe.PipeName);
        PublishingSystemFactory.RegisterPipe(RSSInboundPipe.PipeName, typeof(RssInboundPipeCustom));

PublishingSystemFactory.UnregisterPipe(ContentOutboundPipe.PipeName);
        PublishingSystemFactory.RegisterPipe(ContentOutboundPipe.PipeName, typeof(ContentOutboundPipeCustom));

You do not need to explicitly set it when creating the feed to import from.

Regards,
Nikola Zagorchev
Telerik

This thread is closed