Recycle Bin in Sitefinity 7.1 - Feature Previews & Betas - Feature Previews & Betas - Progress Community
 Feature Previews & Betas

Recycle Bin in Sitefinity 7.1

• Recycle Bin in Sitefinity 7.1
  • Hi all,

Sitefinity 7.1 will include Recycle Bin, a feature which will lists all deleted content in a dedicated section of the Backned, plus the ability to restore deleted items.

We are interested in knowing more about your requirements in regards to this feature, and more specifically:

• In addition to Content and Pages, what else would you like to see in Recycle Bin?
    • Who should have access/rights to restore items from Recycle Bin?
    • Any additional requirements/considerations you might have

We look forward to receiving your feedback!

You can subscribe to this thread to follow updates on this functionality, and see preview of the wireframes.

Best Regards,
    Kalina
    Sitefinity Team
  • @Kali

• On all "Recycleable" content I would like to see a sidebar item (like "Where this content is published") that takes me to recycled content for that item.  So even if it's a single backend, bring me to a filtered list
    • Like Markus says, file\db size is important...so in the case of deleted documents (in the recyclebin) seeing the "Size" and sorting by "Size" is important so like if someone uploads a 500M file, then deletes it...I can clean up 500M in the recyclebin quickly instead of needing to look for something specifically.
    • Would like to preview the deleted content, and see where it was deleted from
    • Please categorize an item, or put a document into a folder...delete the item.  Then go delete the category it was linked to, AND the folder it was inside...then try to restore the item.  Or if the content item has linked content delete that linked content and try to preview\restore....know what I mean?  Like lets say you're restoring a page but it's parent is toast...
    • I assume if one could delete content, they'd then also be able to restore it...no?  I mean it'd be nice to have a separate permission for restore.
    • Clearly page templates and widget templates in the bin too...
    • "Clear all" for a type would be nice...not just clear all for all
    • I don't suppose this could also contain something to prevent\fix accidental page moves\drops or rolling back those eh?...
    • Someone on my team also said it's nice when you search in Gmail and it shows you deleted items in the same resultset...might be nice "Oh that's what I was looking for, but who deleted it"
  • Like.

• For me, widgets are a must and administrators should have the ability to see all items and see who put them in there. Ability to set who has access to remove items from the bin would be nice, but admins should be priority.

+1 for the other extras that Steve outlined.

• One of the features I would love to see in SF, a bit off topic to a degree,  is a way of integrating the Widgets code that we see in thunder, but being able to have them into TFS or SVN,  so even that when we are using thunder the content would be controlled by one of those source code providers.

• @Tim

I rather have someone purge it then have it cleared after some days. Someone deletes a page and goes on vaction or so. But I could agree that it would be nice if you could delete all contents deleted n days or older.

Markus

• Dear Kali

Let me start of by saying this is wonderful news.

To me the most important thing is to prevent my clients from making damage. So Design - Pages and Widget would be on my wish list.

Access to recycle bin to me would make sense for

- all administrators
    - to whom has deleted an item (they should only see their items. If they can delete it they should be able to restore it.

Will there be a clean-up possibility. Like empty recycle bin?

This would be nice. Now the history is filling up the database without much we can do. (hoping 7.2 will bring the option to limit the numbers of history that are kept.

And I would not want to have the same 'problem' with recylce bin.

• Hello,

As I have in other CMS that I use, for me the most interest regarding the trash can is also about pages (with all on it) and various contents.

About security, I suppose that every one must be able to restore it's own deleted stuff and the admin any stuff. If it is also a purge (empty etc.) facility I think that it must be available only to admin.

off topic

I don't know if this available now (if is, sorry), but I find nice to have a property, let say, "Visible" for pages and specially for content (e.g. we have added a news or event item, but not sure if is something sure, so we need to keep the item invisible  to the time when is approved)

• I would like to see which user deleted the page (Date/Time etc..).

All Administrator roles.

Something that I think would be beneficial would be the ability to define a purge setting to allow the admin to setup the amount of time that the pages would stay in the recycle bin (perhaps in days).

• Okay we need to just make a distinction here...widget TEMPLATES need to be in the bin...not widgets on pages.  That exists already as revision history, and the person who edited the page is listed in the history already.

I think there was another post about an audit log feature, I think thats what some of you guys are wanting instead?  Can't really put a widget in the recycle bin as its not technically content.

...also @Kali...dash widget for recyclebin activity would be slick too

•  This is closely related to the recycle bin feature -- would like to see the possibility to associate the delete action to a workflow. So, deletes would follow the same approval process as any other content publishing.

• Hi all,

And thanks for the valuable input! Your ideas all make sense and we’ll try to incorporate them in the development. Our plan for phase 1 is to focus on Pages and Content as these are the most critical areas where recycle bin is needed.

Please, let us know how you’d prioritize the requirements below. In your opinion, which ones are MUST for iteration one, and which ones can wait for next iterations:

•  If a news item is related to an image, and the news is deleted and then restored, link to the image should be restored as well
    • If a news item is related to an event, and the news is deleted and then restored, the link to the event should be restored as well
    • If a taxon (tag or category) is related to a content items (i.e. news), and is deleted and then restored, the link to content items should be restored as well
    • Recycle Bin for Page Templates
    • Recycle Bin for Widget Templates

I look forward to receiving your feedback.
    Let me know if further clarification is needed.

Regards,
    Kalina

• Must

Recycle Bin for Page Templates
    Recycle Bin for Widget Templates

Markus

• 1) Recycle Bin for Widget Templates

<These should all be mandatory>
      <reason>Its not "undeleting" and restoring content if the following do not happen right</reason>
    1) If a news item is related to an image, and the news is deleted and then restored, link to the image should be restored as well

2) If a news item is related to an event, and the news is deleted and then restored, the link to the event should be restored as well

3) If a taxon (tag or category) is related to a content items (i.e. news), and is deleted and then restored, the link to content items should be restored as well
    </These should all be mandatory>

2) Recycle Bin for Page Templates (I don't see this being much of an issue, as you cant delete a template with pages using it)