We have a Sitefinity 3.7SP4 site that we'll be upgrading later this year. We recently moved it to a Windows 2012 R2 server environment. I works fine, but occasionally puts up a "trial version of Sitefinity" message, although the License is most certainly valid.
Any ideas how to address this issue?
While I appreciate the reply, the license is not the issue.
The site and its license have been in continuous use at the same url since we started using Sitefinity. It's only upon moving to a new server/iis combination that this spurious "trial message" has appeared. However, all domain/subdomains are registered and the license is valid as its always been.
Moving the license from App_Data to Sitefinity did the trick, it would seem. The Generator now shows version 3.7.2136.240:4. As your post helpfully suggested, it had been :0 prior to the relocation of the license.
Now I'm wondering why it worked for years with the license in App_Data, but I can live without knowing if the site now stops showing the "trial" message.
1. Check the licensed domain. Note that the license key is tied to the top level domain name. You can view your key details from License Keys > Show key file link at Your Account.
2. Make sure the company name is spelled correctly.
3. Make sure that your license key is in a file named LicenseFile.xml.
4. Make sure LicenseFile.xml is located in ~/[YourWebsite]/Sitefinity folder.
5. Restart your application when you save the LicenseFile.xml in your project Sitefinity folder. You can restart Sitefinity by making a dummy change in the web.config file
6. To check whether Sitefinity has found any license file for your project, do the following:
1. On the public side of the project, right-click on any website page and open the page source (IE: View Source, Firefox: View Page Source).
2. Locate the meta tag with name Generator. It should look like this: <meta name="Generator" content="Sitefinity 3.7.2096.2:0" /> and check if the digit after the colon is different from zero. If this digit is still zero, it means that no licenses are currently found by Sitefinity and applied to the project. If the last digit is no longer zero, this means that your license key for the registered domain name has been recognized by Sitefinity and your website visitors will no longer get a trial message. That last digit signifies the number of licenses found and applied to a Sitefinity project.