A better JavaScript editor? - Forum - Rollbase - Progress Community

A better JavaScript editor?

Forum

A better JavaScript editor?

• I'm known not to be a fan of JavaScript at all. But the fact that in Rollbase JavaScript trigger code has to be edited in a pure, unformatted text area does not raise my fun at all.

Is it possible to integrate a JavaScript editor that supports

- syntax highlighting

- collapsible blocks

- basic error indications

into Rollbase?

Architect of the SmartComponent Library and WinKit

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• First comment.... This would make a good "idea" for voting on. I would give it a thumbs up.

Secondly, one thought might be to take the OpenEdge Mobile editor for JavaScript and reuse it here. I am curious if others have any thoughts on a good open source javascript editor. =
  • en.wikipedia.org/.../Comparison_of_JavaScript-based_source_code_editors

This gives a good comparision of editors.

• I had seen ACE in the past. Looks very nice.

Question is if it's technically and license wise feasible to integrate that into Rollbase.

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• wood
    Secondly, one thought might be to take the OpenEdge Mobile editor for JavaScript and reuse it here. I am curious if others have any thoughts on a good open source javascript editor. =

Bill, the last time I looked at it (I admit that's a while ago) that wasn't that much better as well. Has it improved?

Consultingwerk Ltd.

• I don't know specifics of when you saw it, but it has many of the feature you mention - color coding. Indenting. (But not all). =
  • For all those that are interested in this, there is an IDEA on the Rollbase:Challenge area.  Please Vote for it!

community.progress.com/.../having_a_full_web_code_editor_embedded_in_rollbase_for_scripting.aspx

• There is a lot of buzz right now around Light Table. See: http://www.chris-granger.com/2012/04/12/light-table---a-new-ide-concept/ and/or  http://www.lighttable.com/.
    Light Table is an Open Source application allowing for immediate feedback when writing JavaScript including the ability to inject the code into a web site to review execution behavior.
  • A gentle nudge... Lots of comments here, i see, but no new votes for this feature in the Idea Space.....