OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• Reinstate handling of error stack returned from Oracle database (Data server for...

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    When using OE RDBMS, OE Data Server for Oracle and OE Client Networking (with data server broker) -- our progress application cannot handle the full stack of error messages coming back from Oracle. It would seem that since v10, only the top level error...
  • Allow changing the physical database name

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    As of now the only support way I know to change the physical database name is via probkup / prorest. While this is a valid approach it consumes a lot of downtime on large database - up to some 20 hours on a 2 TB large database. Manually renaming all...
  • Online schema changes

Ok, it is possible to make some schema changes. Consider this scenario: A 24/7 business and I have to assure my business rules wasn't changed. If the database is running in multiple user mode, DDL operations like ALTER TABLE ADD PRIMARY KEY, DROP...
  • Change the idxbuild -pfactor default value from 100 to 80

The index packing/compaction factor defaults to 80 for idxcompact, but in idxbuild it defaults to 100. I would like to see idxbuild -pfactor default to 80, both for consistency and because it is a more reasonable default.
  • Verification option for database startup

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    It would be great if there was a way to verify database startup commands (proserve) without actually having to start the database (or if the database is already running). Use case: There are times we change database startup parameters while the database...
  • SQL statistics

This will be a bit vague... It is fairly well known that the SQL query engine uses a cost-based optimizer, and the standard first reply to anyone complaining of SQL query performance issues is "Have you updated statistics?" followed by the...
  • HWM for BI & AI buffers

Sizing -aibufs and -bibufs is a bit of a black art. Some people say that 25-50 is plenty and that they have never seen more than single-digit values in R&D 1 9 Full Buffers. I am skeptical of this as I have seen values >40 during mass data loads...
  • A new costing algorithm in the SQL optimizer, to eliminate performance issues noted...

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Several months ago a customer I support was having varying results using the SQL Optimizer tool. We opened a support ticket with Progress support and they indicated this was not an issue with the tool per se, but a problem how SQL coordinates among join...
  • Ceate cluster management tool and transparent failover for resilient database with...

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Currently you can have replication and replication sets on databases but failover is stil something you'd probably prefer to do manually and automatic failover in case of a network split can cause split brain where multiple nodes can become master...
  • Separate counters for total & used buffers in -B/-B2

Currently we have counters for total and used buffers in _BuffStatus and in promon R&D 1 7. But they only show aggregate totals for the primary and alternate buffer pools. Having separate counters for primary and alternate buffer pools would make...