OpenEdge Database - Products Enhancements - Progress Community

OpenEdge Database

• HWM for BI & AI buffers

Sizing -aibufs and -bibufs is a bit of a black art. Some people say that 25-50 is plenty and that they have never seen more than single-digit values in R&D 1 9 Full Buffers. I am skeptical of this as I have seen values >40 during mass data loads...
  • Prolog online to reinsert the database startup section

The database log file can in certain cases bloat quite quickly. As a result we truncate the log online from time to time. But we are still interested in the database startup section for various reasons, not least the ProTop uses it to identify a number...
  • Falback code page in jdbc driver to handle databases with corruption

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Hello, regarding issue http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000052030 it would be highly desireable to have an option for the jdbc driver to be able to provide a fallback codepage so that if a character does not work it doesn't just...
  • SQL statistics

This will be a bit vague... It is fairly well known that the SQL query engine uses a cost-based optimizer, and the standard first reply to anyone complaining of SQL query performance issues is "Have you updated statistics?" followed by the...
  • Separate counters for total & used buffers in -B/-B2

Currently we have counters for total and used buffers in _BuffStatus and in promon R&D 1 7. But they only show aggregate totals for the primary and alternate buffer pools. Having separate counters for primary and alternate buffer pools would make...
  • Logical Scatter metric

As per this discussion: https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_rdbms/f/18/p/21437/75562#75562 Please add a metric for "logical scatter".
  • OE installation : add version indication to shortcuts & proenv

• Under Review
    • 1 Comments
    Not database related but it's the only OpenEdge idea forum left so I post this here. My excuse is that It is useful on a windows database server. Following enhancements are very small but useful when multiple versions are installed on the same server...
  • Add Binary Load Online (Tenant Aware) Capability to a MT Replication Enabled Dat...

• Under Review
    • 0 Comments
    Currently, the ability to add data to a tenant online through a binary load of a multi-tenant replication enabled database does not exist. We have recently started utilizing replication to provide a more robust DR strategy for our customers. We regularly...
  • Redesign promon

I believe the will always be value in a character-mode DB monitor, so I'm not suggesting replacing promon with a GUI tool or a web tool. I'm not opposed to such UIs in principle but the character promon client shouldn't go away and shouldn't...
  • Pre-grow variable data extents

It would be helpful to be able to pre-grow a variable data extent, similar to proutil -C bigrow but for data extents. Use case: creating a target DB for a D&L.